B18C4 VTEC drinking oil?

farmerjoe

I fitted hamper filter on mine. Obviously don't really notice much difference. I have to top up about half lyre of oil between 3k oil changes. Think its normal to loose a bit between services especially when tecin all over the shop

:lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 litres seems high,

check or oily residue on idle.

get someone to follow you and vtec it..

either suggests worn engine parts, either valve stems(smokey idle)? or piston rings (vtec)?..

also check the quality of oil, another key thing is a leaky cam end seal/vtec spool valve filter.. check for any leaks. Also the Rocker cover gaskets and the O-rings around the spark plug area!!! another way it can lose oil!

• 4 months later...
Next time you change oil use engine flush idle at 2-2500 rpm for 5 mins flush it out then use good quality 10 40w oil with oil treatment thickens the oil to stop it burning away depending on mileage and service history (or Lack of) the piston rings may be slightly worn if it was really bad it would smoke like a beagle!

my old mc2 was a 1998 bought it with sod all service history on 85000 as soon as i got it flushed it banged good 10 40w in never used a drop of oil really i sold it at 120 i bought her back at 145 was still solid as a rock, i broke the car up for parts and engine for rebuild its sat in my shed great engines.

i now have a 2000 mc2 same goes for that but this one had more service history and honda stamps so i know it was serviced with shell oil from honda most its life, sound like your lack of history is due to it not really being maintaned when it needed to and the engine needs your TLC i have owned plenty of hondas and not one has been bad on oil but then ive always used good oil and flushed regular.

if we was talking vauxhall twin cam then i wouldnt be suprised 1 bit they a gutter!

oh yeah HAMP filters as a rule keep the oil pressure consistant i never use anything else there awsome.

What engine flush should i use?

Don't use engine flush, not good, just drain old oil add a couple of litres of cheaper oil, drain and fill with good quality 10w40. :)

got castrol magetec in mine (10/40), 4k's after changing the oil, not used a bit and it's now on 144k's. it does have blood goood servce history...

• 1 year later...

I'm currently running 5w/30 which is proving to be really bad, i've used 3L in the last 3k, it will be getting changed next week as i'm sick of having to check it's topped up all the bloody time, things is tho it uses all this oil yet there's no problem engine wise, no smoke on vtec what so ever, mo smoke on acxelerate or de accelerate, am gonna have a compression test done just to be on the safe side but nout else seems to be wronf but i wi admit the MC2 spends most of her life in vtec cause it's so fun :)

I'm sat at 134,6XX miles with loads of service history & it seems to be running pretty smooth other than this little hiccup.

Only thing i noticed a few weeks ago were a few spots of oil been chucked out the exhaust when she was cold but had nothing since, beginning to believe it may well be stem seals or something like it may of been on my EK but will have a more in depth check next week :/

Fingers crossed she's fine :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived