Clutch and gearshift problem

Dexter

Okay i've checked out over 10 different topics and couldn't find anyone with the same problem so before investing in a new clutch...

First of all since last summer, it's been hard engaging gears on high revs. No problem on low revs, only when ripping it.

Lately it's been getting a bit harder, and disturbingly hard after i fitted a short shifter last week.

This happened yesterday: i started the car, gear was in 1st and clutch and brake was completely depressed. The car took a small jolt forward, exactly in the same way as if you start the car without pressing the clutch. This happened again later once.

Also, when trying to shift to reverse while parked, shifted to neutral but couldn't engage any gears. The shifter wouldn't go in far enough. Only after a while of gas and clutch and wiggling the stick around could get it to engage. This happened again later, and also at a stop light when trying to shift from 2nd to 1st after slowing down.

Also...! A couple of times, when slowing down, right before speed drops to zero, i get this slight judder, very similar to what i described when starting the car without the clutch pressed.

No problems getting gears in once at speed. So what's up with my clutch? What about the hard gear engagement at high revs? Anyone had similar issues???

Edit: Car in question is MC2.

To start with short shifter can be a pain in the a$$ I use to struggle when I had mine. My civic use to struggle going into reverse I use to release the clutch and then press it a gain that use to help not sure why on high revs thou. I would start with the cheapest option gearbox oil change

sounds like it could be the damping springs in the clutch mate ?

but i would start with the little things first . like simpo said g/box oil first also try to bleed the clutch fluid ?

see if that helps .

I had a similar symptoms with my EK4, couldn't engage gears without matching the revs and when at a standstill in gear with the clutch pressed it was as if I kept lifting and dropping it causing the car to jolt forwards.

Turned out a clamp was broke causing the shaft to move about and randomly engage gears etc, a complete clutch pack sorted it though.

• 5 weeks later...

Replaced the gearbox oil, didn't help the shifting problem with high revs.

Bled the clutch, car worked fine for about 30km and then the same problems started again. Decided it was drivable anyway, and took a 800km roundtrip up north to go snowboarding for easter. Most of the trip went fine, but sometimes when changing gears, at totally random intervals, was almost impossible to get 3rd and 5th gear to go in. Eventually got them in, though.

Last week started the car and no gears would go in. Killed engine, checked clutch fluid (was ok), and started again, and then gearbox worked normal (with previous problems though) and was drivable. A couple of days ago started the car again, but gears wouldn't engage no matter what. Without engine on all the gears move smoothly through the gearbox.

Sounds like a clutch problem to me? So i'm going to give it another bleed but perhaps need a new clutch kit, what do you reckon?

One more thing about bleeding the clutch: when i did it, the fluid that came out was very dirty, like mud water. Since my Haynes manual doesn't tell me that i ever have to replace the fluid i thought it's okay, but later when thinking about it, mixing dirty brown muddish brake fluid with brand new clear fluid doesn't sound pretty smart. Perhaps a complete flush is in order?

Try a flush, it can't hurt! Like you say, mixing clean fluid with dirty just means you have dirty fluid. See what happens with completely clean fluid!

Thanks. Any idea how much fluid i need? I've got DOT 5.1 brake fluid, can i use the same for clutch? And what's the best way to flush it, any tips or do i just use the basic bleeding technique?