horn not workin

katmankan

• 1 year later...

Let's bring up an old subject, since my horn hasn't worked for a while and the MOT is apporoaching. So, the situtation is like this:

- There's no sound when i press the horn buttons. Tried holding them down for a long time but no difference. I can definitely hear a click somewhere when pressing down the button, and the sound doesn't come from the steering wheel. Relay maybe?

- Checked the fuse underneath the hood, was fine.

- According the the workshop manual there's also a relay in the underdash fusebox. Was a pain to even get my hands there and remove the electrical connector, but i couldn't remove the relay no matter what. So don't know about this.

35bk.jpg

- Then i checked the horns themselves and the wires, in case there was an accidental earth somewhere. Couldn't find one, but are these even OEM horns? They look totally different in the manual.

q1dx.jpg

- I wanted to hook up the horn straight into the battery to see if it's working, but there's only one terminal in the horn, connected with a flat connector, again unlike in the manual. The other wire you see here goes straight to the other horn. So can i just connect this to the + battery terminal to try it out? What about grounding? I really suck at car electrics and don't want to break anything.

zev3.jpg

Those are definitely not original, the original looks like the one in the manual and there's only one of them.

The original horn should be on the left hand side (facing the car) so the first question is how has your second one been wired into the system, then if you can get hold of a multi meter test if there is power going to either of them.

Those are definitely not original, the original looks like the one in the manual and there's only one of them.

The original horn should be on the left hand side (facing the car) so the first question is how has your second one been wired into the system, then if you can get hold of a multi meter test if there is power going to either of them.

There's this box in the engine on the left hand side (facing the car).The single blue wire that goes to the left connects to the first horn. Then another blue wire goes from the first horn to the other. That's all the wiring the horns have.

I bought a multimeter, now just have to figure out how to use it!

58ss.jpg

Get some wire and put it on + and - terminals on the horn then put them straight to the battery then you will know if it's your horn or the wiring! That looks like a relay in the last pic which could be your problem!

Get some wire and put it on + and - terminals on the horn then put them straight to the battery

Well that's the problem, there's only one terminal on the horn so how do i do this? Do i just connect it to + on the battery?? Don't want to break anything...

...and no blown fuses, and the horn works! So must be the wiring then. So did my first multimeterings but didn't find any problems... i think i need to watch some more tutorials on youtube to make sure i was using it right, and not just looking for earths or something... :roll:

What I would try is. Where the back box is take the horn live off and the one from the main loom tape them together and try the horn that way. If works prob that relay

• Like 2