My MB6 Track Car build

stoocake

Aha! I remember this one, just can't remember where i saw it before! Thats gonna be some track tool mate. Will be watching this one ;)8-)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awsome write up buddy, love reading the really long, detailed threads like this!! You are gonna have an amazing machine when you get all that done, looking forward to watching this one develop!! Keep up the good work! 8-):D

Cheers guys - the positive feedback really helps move this project along, without it, it'd be hard to summon the energy sometimes.

I will be getting the car weighed inthe next few weeks, but dreading getting it done as I'm sure I'll be dissapointed..it'll never be light enough :lol:

Got the dashboard out at the moment, and stripping out the redundant wiring such as the fog lamps, washer motor and ABS loom. Very tight for space behind the interior fusebox...I'll get some good pics up over the weekend.

do you even need a dash?? :?

Aha..........

...for now I'll stick with it, but already made my aluminium one which I'll fit when I have time to fabricate mountings for all the switches and dial cluster. At the moment, I'm in a rush to get a car ready for Knockhill in 4 weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Long overdue this one...

As I'm going to Knockhill on the 7th June, I've been getting the car tidied up for this.

Decided to take the dash out to get at the remaining wiring that needs hauled out and finish the interior paint job.

100520091036.jpg

100520091039.jpg

100520091043.jpg

100520091035.jpg

Also thought it'd be a good opportunity to fill the gaping hole in the bulkhead from where the air con plumbing used to be.

100520091033.jpg

100520091041.jpg

100520091042.jpg

This loom now on has 6 cables left in, down from about 14 before

100520091034.jpg

Plenty of this can still come out next time I go at it

100520091038.jpg

100520091040.jpg

Also had a wheel alignment done at Powerstation in Tewksbury, and I cannot recommend them enough - they did a great job, very friendly, took their time to do it properly and very pleased with how the car drives now.

Unfortunately it came to light that my lower nearside wishbone is a bit mishapen, resulting in just under 1degree of castor too much(/little - can't remember which way it was bent), but this explains why the car pulls gently to the left. Already sourced a replacement but won't be fitting it before Knockhill in 2 weeks as I don't have the time.

Also, the rear camber needs sorted so I'll have to fit adjustable arms at some point - until then, I'm stuck with 2.8degrees at the rear, which makes it a little skittish at the back on the current tyres.

Speaking of which, I'll be collecting a set of Toyo R888s on the way up north for track use, so I'm quite excited to see how they perform.

This week I'll be making a passenger doorcard, and working out a way to get the passenger window to open as I'll be embarking on a 2000 mile trip which will include getting to Scotland (Dunblane), 1 track day at Knockhill, then me and a few mates from up there are going on a Top Gear style "Find the best driving road in Scotland" tour of the Highlands! Can't wait.

lookin good bud,its good to have a sort out innit,get rid of the unwanted stuff and for u SAVE SOME WEIGHT :lol:

it would be good if there was carbon fibre items out there for the m even more weight saving and it looks good to.it will be nice to c the dash in when your done. 8-)

Archived