The future of civic5!

Dave

I've been looking for ways to improve things for Civic5.com, and to make it better for the future. As you know, from it's humble beginnings it's grew into a very busy forum, and we need to make sure it can handle the demands that may be put on it as we grow even bigger.

So, for a while now I've been looking at different platforms to what it's (the forum) currently built on, PhpBb3. To be honest, phpbb has been perfect for our needs for the last few years,and I've become quite competant at editing the various php files to customize the forum to our requirements. I've also become reasonably good at being able to repair things when they break! But, for the last 6 months or so, with me being away from the site, it's thrown up a few problems with regards to how the site can be run without me. Things like the memberships keep having to be put on hold, as I'm the only one who can do the funds for it etc. And then theres the website side of things. Without web design knowlege, and the programs/server access things like car of the month have been a bit b****r by the fact it needs me to edit the home page with the latest winner! So we needed something that can handle all these things, and one that lets the admins have the access they need.

I talked about I.P. board and also Vbulletin, both of which have to be purchased as they arent free software. Having experimented with both, I've finally went ahead and bought I.P. board. I've also bought a few add on applications aswell...

I.P. Board + Core suite (they are the basic requirements that must be bought)

I.P. Gallery (which will mean we can have things like members albums etc)

I.P. Content (this will enable the admins to edit content on the webpages, which will have to be all completely rebuilt around the new platform. But once built it will be simple for any admins to add photos/content to them)

I.P. Nexus. This is an eCommerce solution add-on, which could possibly be used for the for sale sections, but more importantly, will be used for memberships. This will make membership fully automated! When membership is purchased, the users account is automatically upgraded. When membership runs out, the account changes back to standard.

I.P. Calendar. This will be cool for arranging meets/events etc.

The whole package has set me back $310.25 (around two hundred odd quid) :o There's also a license 6 month renewal (currently $85) And there's a lot to do before we can install it all, as our current forum database needs to be converted from PHP to IP, a massive job in itself. I'll be working with both IP and our server host to try and get this done as smoothly as possible, but it will obviously mean we may be offline for a few days. The forum will run just a standard theme until I get time to create a civic5 one, but that's the least of our worries! lol I'm going to try and back up everything we have,then see if the server host can send me a download of it, both our SQL database and the files from the FTP side of things. Least that way if it does go tits up, I should be able to recover us back to here! I hope! :shock:

Once it's all installed, and any errors are ironed out, I'll be looking at getting us upgraded onto the new super dooper server. Again, another big (and costly) job, but one I want to do to ensure that civic5 continues into the future. I also want to do it so that should anything happen to me, then the site can be taken over by someone else (that's already been sorted out who will take ownership of civic5 should anything happen to me.....queue Dave and Sarah!) and run easily.

This is a major step for the club, and I'm happy to invest in it's future. Its a honda car club/honda forum like no other. The sense of community in here is almost family like, so it's worth making sure it's always going to be here. Even after I'm gone! It's what Dawn would want for sure, as she was as proud of Civic5 as I am, so it's a wee legacy! 8-)

Yeah that is good news, i know its a lot of hard work but it will be worth it. I think the site is looking a bit dated now and could do with a refresh and overhall. Top marks for having ago and learning it!

That all sounds good but also like a lot of hard work, sure it'll be worth it though.

If there's anything we as members can do to help out (not sure what but you never know) just shout. :)

Will do, thanks chaps. We may need our VIP'ers to help during the changeover by us contacting you with developments, then maybe you could relay this on our facebook group? Just an idea. 8-)

Will do, thanks chaps. We may need our VIP'ers to help during the changeover by us contacting you with developments, then maybe you could relay this on our facebook group? Just an idea. 8-)

Can do. :D

Yep, no problem. :)

I'm good at finding bugs lol

Ditto, love a bit of fault finding! [smash.gif]

Sounds pretty impressive Dave! I know very little about web design but that aside I am happy to offer any assistance I can, even if it's just brain storming! 8-):idea: