1.5 mb

simpo

Yeah but the VTEC-e is very different to what we know and love, it kicks in quite low down and it's not aimed at max bhp but more towards better MPG! Don't get one expecting it be anything like the B18! ;)

I've done some research for you!

VTEC-E

A novel implementation of VTEC in SOHC engines is the VTEC-E implementation (E for Economy). VTEC-E uses the principle of swirling to promote more efficient air-and-fuel mixing in the engine chambers. VTEC-E works by deactivating one intake valve. Examine the diagram below.

img8.jpg

In the SOHC VTEC-E implementation, only one intake cam-lobe is implemented on the camshaft. Actually it is really a flat "ring". In operation this means the relevant rocker arm will not be activated causing the engine to effectively work in 12-valve mode. This promotes a swirl action during the intake cycle. VTEC is used to activate the inactive valve, making the engine work in 16-valve mode in more demanding and higher rpm conditions. Honda was able to implement air-fuel mixture ratios of more than 20:1 in VTEC-E during the 12-valve operating mode. The SOHC VTEC-E engined EG-series Civic ETi is able to return fuel consumptions of as good as 20km/litre or better!!

SOHC VTEC implemented for power is often mistaken as SOHC VTEC-E which is implemented for economy. It is worthwhile to note that the 1.5l SOHC VTEC-E used in the JDM Honda Civic ETi produces 92ps. This is in fact less than that produced by the standard 1.5l SOHC engine's 100ps which uses dual Keihin side-draft carburettors. SOHC VTEC in the D15B produces 130ps. This is 30% more than the standard SOHC implementation !

From http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html

• Like 1

Yeah but the VTEC-e is very different to what we know and love, it kicks in quite low down and it's not aimed at max bhp but more towards better MPG! Don't get one expecting it be anything like the B18! ;)

Yeah I use to have a eg vtec e no Wat there all about ,just Wat I need

I have the MB3 1.5 VTEC-E and I think they are fantastic cars! I get 136 miles for 20 quid, that's about 14.94 litres and that's not in eco mode all the time. And the power of these little 1.5 eco engines in a heavier 5 door car is surprisingly quick for what it is... :wink:

I have the MB3 1.5 VTEC-E and I think they are fantastic cars! I get 136 miles for 20 quid, that's about 14.94 litres and that's not in eco mode all the time. And the power of these little 1.5 eco engines in a heavier 5 door car is surprisingly quick for what it is... :wink:

~40mpg, not bad! 8-)