Roylewaa's MB2 decision time

Roylewaa

Thought I would start a bio as ive got a few plans to make this motor a nice one, and a keeper

Bought the car last week, an MB2 from a family that had the car from new, genuine 2 keeper (same family), car was up for £495, managed to get her for £400

1.4 S, 115k (service history stamped up to 94k by Springfield Honda)

Factory fitted black leather (requested when ordered by 1st keeper for £200 extra apparently)

Runs well, apart from a squeaky tweetin drive belt, and the usual arb droplink knock

Pics from the ad

KGrHqRqwFIN7kBNvFBSEm3eeCSQ48_80_zpsc026

KGrHqVnUFH9-lMQBSEm3-ttqw48_80_zps00d46b

And the mountain of service history including the unopened red key

IMG_0418_zpsf6a3069f.jpg

Had the car literally an hour before I jumped on Gumtree and bought these for £120 with good tyres as the bottle top 14" alloys just wouldn't do

IMG_0415_zps9c45ad89.jpg

IMG_0416_zps6677e788.jpg

Then dug this little package out of the cupboard that I bought a while ago and was keeping for a rainy day, should be enough to do front and back lights

IMG_0417_zpsc12c78e0.jpg

Popped over the scrapyard the following day and nabbed some Rover 45 smoked side repeaters and grabbed the armrest console while I was there

fitted, notice the usual colour discrepancy

IMG_0426_zpse80cd14f.jpg

Needless to say the 2 screws were an absolute pig to get out, ended up braying a socket onto them to get them out and faffing with a set of molegrips for an hour and getting nowhere, why oh why they didn't use bolts there like Rover

Then I set about upgrading the front door speakers, as we all know the standard stuff is complete muffled pants

after some advice from another member, I learned the Vauxhall Astra adapter plates fit the MB with a little modification (1 new screw hole to be drilled so had these luckily unopened in the cupboard, 6.5 inch adapter plates with 5.25 adapters, lucky as the speakers I had were 5.25 Vibe components and tweeters

For reference anyone planning to do this, these are the ones you need

IMG_0433_zps8fd35318.jpg

new hole drilled into door panel

IMG_0420_zps4a726884.jpg

And mounted

IMG_0419_zpsf420b890.jpg

Then onto tweeter, attached them to the small sail panels and fed the wires up

IMG_0421_zpsa01ea6e6.jpg

And pretty much done, door card fitted back on fine with no fouling

IMG_0432_zpsb8dbd60c.jpg

IMG_0422_zpsa0c69f86.jpg

sound is much better, not fantastic but will do, I don't really rate Vibe speakers, there a better ones out there for not much money, just had them already doing nowt in the cupboard

Then fitted my free scrapyard find Momo gearknob, shame the screw bezel at the bottom is missing, ordered a cheap one from ebay so hopefully the one from that will fit

IMG_0425_zps59bb5acb.jpg

And a few randoms from today

IMG_0429_zps768f3c4d.jpg

Only bit of rust on the whole car, back passengerside door

IMG_0431_zps346b5911.jpg

IMG_0430_zps718f3ee1.jpg

IMG_0423_zps321f4fe4.jpg

IMG_0428_zps52666494.jpg

IMG_0427_zpsa49d8331.jpg

Loads of ideas so will update as things happen :)

Thanks chaps

That rust is just the beginnings of surface rust

Will keep an eye on it, of its gets worse on sure it's repairable or I will just replace the door

I will look into insulation on the doors as the bass is still pretty weak

I've just picked up a pair of 6x9s from eBay, only paid a fiver for them, however are they supposed to make a graunchy noise when you push the cone up and down?

Emzvr - where did you get the floor isolation? Had a quick look on eBay but no joy

• Like 1

Ah nice to see your project thread mate...Lovely silver Mb2 you got...nice to have another silver one to the family of silver Ms :)

Love the mods you have done so far...looking forward to seeing those alloys on and the fly eye tint on...will improve the look greatly. 

Just one question where do the tweeters in the front connect to...I got some from a MB6 but don't know where to connect them to.

The tweeters are connected to the vibe components, it's like a 2 way wire, I just fed it up the door for them

The sound is not much cop from them to be honest, I got them given off a mate and I think he thrashed them to death when they were in his bora

You could take a feed from the door speaker, that's what I would try, just tap into the wires

I've done that before on a Mondeo and it worked

Thanks chaps

That rust is just the beginnings of surface rust

Will keep an eye on it, of its gets worse on sure it's repairable or I will just replace the door

I will look into insulation on the doors as the bass is still pretty weak

I've just picked up a pair of 6x9s from eBay, only paid a fiver for them, however are they supposed to make a graunchy noise when you push the cone up and down?

Emzvr - where did you get the floor isolation? Had a quick look on eBay but no joy

I'm sorry but I can't help you with that, I'm not from UK. But it should be pretty easy to find one. I just went tot the local parquet shop and they had tons and it costs nothing.. I think you call this thing there "acoustic floor underlay insulation".