Had to go on an errand for work. Drove the car absolutely fine, parked up, went into the shop... normal.

Got in the car, started up and went to reverse but it cut out after moving 4 feet or so. Wouldn't fire up again, just kept turning over.

Took the plugs out and they look well past their due date. Gaps were big and it looks like the car has been running lean for a while.

I took each plug out and tapped it to close the gap, this was enough to get it to start.

Managed to move the car 2 miles into High Wycombe where there's a MPD, yes!! Well, they only had 1 spark plug. No good.

Got back in the car and it wouldn't start. I did my best to get it to start by blipping the throttle and keeping the revs up for a while and everything seemed stable. There's a local run part shop half a mile away so I decided to drive there. Drove forward and got to the junction, went to pull out and the revs dropped and car wanted to stall. Kept blipping the throttle and feathering the clutch to get some movement. Comedic kangarooing.

Well, that place didn't have plugs either! I left the car in the car park because by this point, it didn't fire up at all.

I walked to the nearest Halfords (2mi) and picked up a set of Bosch plugs.

Fitted them and the car fired up straight away, idled high for a bit then the revs came down. Drove pretty smooth.

I had a couple of jerky moments trying to pull from a roundabout, low revs in second. Not sure if that's because there was a build up of fuel.... or there's another ignition fault.

I'm back at work now explaining why I was 2hrs to do a 10minute job.

This is the plug from cyl 4. Plug from cyl 2 or 3 had some oil in the threads...

yyzhSnb.jpg

I think the next step I should take is to check out the dizzy cap and rotor and to check the contacts.

New leads are £50 from Euros so I'd rather not spend money on those if I don't need to.

Is the rotor easy enough to inspect / replace? Or does it require precise fitment?

No go after work

Scraping off the deposits from the dizzy cap points allowed me to get home.

Below is the condition of the rotor arm and dizzy cap. Worth replacing both?

Rotor arm looks worn

FOO7P2o.jpg

1dGTz7r.jpg

Dizzy cap:

vzruKJ9.jpg

o2HgUwt.jpg

f89TKvt.jpg

No go after work

Scraping off the deposits from the dizzy cap points allowed me to get home.

Below is the condition of the rotor arm and dizzy cap. Worth replacing both?

Rotor arm looks worn

Dizzy cap:

Yes both should be replaced every three years anyway.