Weird idle and jumping at 20mph

JayLock

Right, I will be quick with my yarn but assistance would be appreciated.

I start her up this morning, no issues, driving on a duel carriage way doing 40mph I come to an island slowing down I get to 20mph no traffic I crack on around it but as I put my foot lightly on the loud pedal the revs jump to 4000rpm, but the speed is not there, I find this odd and take her back up the carriageway and return to see if it was a one off and blow me down with a breeze block there it was again, I find a nice layby and sit there pondering the issue, from nowhere the dash lights dim and the revs drop from there usual 750 to 500 then almost a stall before coming back then dropping, I turn all electrics off and the blower and listen to the engine and it sounds like its ok but thrumming intermittently. I had the oil and sparks done a couple of weeks ago and extravagant as it sounds (with fuel prices) I only use the finest V-Power to save adding potions to regular fuel, My Deck is an auto 1.6se, yes an auto, I like it but now I am concerned that by changing the oil I have opened a can of worm like issues, the air filters been done as well and I checked the plugs, there brand new NGK's.

so now boffins of the 5! what say you?

Only good can come from changing the oil unless u put in the completely wrong grade. Maybe battery or alternator problem get a vault metre on them see wat vaults they are putting out!

Only good can come from changing the oil unless u put in the completely wrong grade. Maybe battery or alternator problem get a vault metre on them see wat vaults they are putting out!

X2 oil change won't harm unless its wrong type. I imagine it will have happened to someone on here at some point, so good luck with finding your answer.

Class Info chaps!! will take a butchers hook, whilst looking into this I found numerous solutions across the world wide wait,

Possible oil cap loose

Spark plugs fault or gapping issue

Leads issue

air Intake issue

fuel filter,

a leads been knocked out

from anywhere during oil change

the EGR needs a clean

the air flow sensor is to the heavens or just damned filthy, (I checked this and am I right in thinking its a sealed mini liquorice torpedo shaped thing? on my last car it was a fairly delicate item in its very own little cage, cleaned that with Halis Electrical spray but the civic seems not to have an entry point more of a thermomemter type of reader).

Its getting to much or to little of something

As those lovely Americans would suggest its a crap shot, or crab not sure but there we are then, I shall don my best Sherlock hat, and away............

• Like 1

Just been looking over the engine and checked auto box oil, this looks good, clean and red, the grade of oil used was 10/40w and according the cowboy(another story for another time) that did the changes this is the correct grade for it, he looked on euro car parts who of course are renowned for  their accuracy and honesty ( yet another story) of course this does not mean it was a good oil but he right grade can be assured, or not?

Having just got back from a warming up to check the fluids run, all seems well, I get out and decide to gently move the throttle cable to create the smooth way in which I like to accelerate to the red line, and the whole engine shakes like a Japanese earthquake (too soon?) and the air flowing in seems to stop and then choke a bit, kind of like she's on forty a day..... more to do I think, is the egr valve easily accessible?

That sounds similar to what was happening to Krzys' a couple of weeks ago (correct me if I'm wrong dude) which would point to the dizzy.

Plug gaps, leads and air filter are all easy to check and eliminate so it's worth doing that first.

Now is that the whole dizzy? not replaced one of those is that a mission?

I have just ordered a new cap and fuel filter, ooo and some STP oil treatment, dunno why but its only £3.50 so anyway I will take some pic's of the changes when the parts arrive, unless there is a how to I missed? the fuel one I have read numerous times but the disty I have watched on you tube so it'll be a first for me, always nervous about engine maintenance, still parts should be with me Tuesday, is it safe to drive till then? I don't mean like ball of fire into a tree but to the whole engine?