HOLY S**T - Dizzy replacement

Grant

Ok ... So I had a peculiar rattling coming from my dizzy, so changed it over for the one off my EK .. Didnt solve it, but while it was in the shop having the tracking/exhaust done, was told it wasnt much of an issue.. (only happends when warming up, is fine after)

Thats not the point though ... So I managed to dig out my old honda manuals that I got 5 years ago! Not sure if they are the same as what you can download on here, wont seem to let me do it to compare?? ..

Anyway, been having a flick through them, flicked passed the dizzy page, and on the top bolt, apparently you can advance or retard your ignition?!?!?!!?! WTF? i didnt know that! Im now worrying i've done it without realising!

What are the pro's/cons do's and donts when it comes to this? In fact, if anyone knows, whats the purpose of advancing or retarding the ignition??

Thanks !

Well the idea is that the air/fuel mix is detonated at just the right time to create the most efficient use of compression and the mix. If its way out then some problems can occur. Suppose the biggest being Detonation. As the fuel could be ignited whn the cylinder is becoming smaller the explosion will cause a huge shock to the piston, rod, bearings etc.

To check. Bridge the diagnostics connector to stop the ecu tinkering with it. Then use a timing light. There's a 4 marks on crank pulley. Tdc and 14,16,18 degrees before tdc.

16 is optimal.

I wouldn't be concern about it even if it is out.

ecu can compensate. And it's not like we're boosted up or anything

• Like 4

Cheers Jake. You are good with words, that was very well explained. Is a little clearer now and I read up on wiki before I shot off from work. There is an optimum advance I think isn't there. So that the spark is just before TDC and the ratio ignites just after TDC.

Quite simple actually. The principle anyway. The testing on the other hand. Well I don't have those sorts of tools.

May speak to my friend at performance Autoworks just to give it a once over.

When Phil took mine off Phil marked it up, I'm pretty sure the new one is about right but I plan to get a timing light onto it when it gets an oil change soon just to be sure!

Good old wiki. I am now cued up on ticking lights. Feel like I've been plugged into a training program in the matrix haha.

So are the cheapo £12 ones from eBay likely to do the job??

Good old wiki. I am now cued up on ticking lights. Feel like I've been plugged into a training program in the matrix haha.

Internet is a wonder of information eh? :lol:

I would have thought so! 

Sure it will be fine, it's just a strobe light.

A strobe light is a strobe light imo the factor to consider is the quality of the product eg. how long it lasts for but saying that i bought mine on ebay for 15quid n its still going 3yrs later

• Like 1