nsr brake caliper

mark.b

Bit of a dilemma, caliper needs changing,number of suppliers will sell me one between £110-120 with between a £40-50 surcharge being refunded when I return the old unit,I've phoned numerous garages and all are quoting between £150-170 parts and labour, 1 hours labour and the cost of part,none have agreed that they get the part cheaper due to surcharge,so there all trying to charge me a fee plus making a decent £50 in their back pocket,asked if I could supply the part, all refused flatly,most stating they couldn't guarantee the work done if I supplied the caliper and would void any liability on their behalf

Feel like I'm getting proper shafted, I need the car everyday to get around so recon parts aren't an option because of down time

Anyone got any suggestions ,as I'm stumped

What wrong with the caliper? Would a refurbished be an option? Also the price they are quoting isn't as bad as it sounds, I was quoted just shy of 300 each caliper from honda and that's just the part!

Handbrake mechanism is seized in the off position only got handbrake on the os,plus I live on an incline

The price I was quoted is for a remanufactured caliper hence the £50 surcharge I mentioned the garage pocketing but denying knowledge of

As for buying brake parts off eBay,I wouldn't trust the part,at least if I buy local I've got a physical location I can return a part to should it fail

Handbrake mechanism is seized in the off position only got handbrake on the os,plus I live on an incline

have a brick handy when you park up my hand brake is worse now both sides work and i live on an incline the first day i was back in it i parked up came back out later went to open my door and the car sloooowy rolled a metre or 2 back before it stopped :/ 

but yeah buy that caliper or the relevent sided caliper and get a mech to fit it, if you look about enough you will find one that will fit it

its your money pal only trying to save you a little i had two of them fitted they have been a dream no more abs taking over my braking and doing a terrible job of it, and at 40 a side including a 15 surcharge so if you sent the others back they would be 25 a side plus a 2 year warranty from the sellers bargain youll need a mech to fit them to keep the warranty though 

I'm currently having all four of mine refurbished, quoted £150 for the lot! They're being assessed today so I'll have a price for definite in a few hours hopefully!

Bit of a bugger that you can't be without the car though otherwise I'd be suggesting the same thing mate! Unfortunately you seem to be at the mercy of the garages you mentioned! 

I've just received 2 rears from here, i emailed them 3 times just to make sure that the price already included the surcharge. They've got pretty solid feedback as well, so thought at that price is worth a punt (especially since I've already had to change callipers twice).

Mine went kaput the other day. 2 days before a family holiday.

Had to get it done qiuck.

£120 for the part £40 to fit.

Handbrake works better than it ever now!!

i think mine just has a bit too much slack in it still works and since ive drove it a bit the have bedded nicley and now it dosnt roll down the hill when i get in it :/ haha

I've just received 2 rears from here, i emailed them 3 times just to make sure that the price already included the surcharge. They've got pretty solid feedback as well, so thought at that price is worth a punt (especially since I've already had to change callipers twice).

x2 exactly mate 1 neg feedback in that last 12 month and about 30 neutral as i said cant complain about them one of the boots on the hb bearing area was ill fitted but only took a hair pin behind it to flick it back and get it sitting right, no sliders but new boots for the sliders and you can buy the slidrs for around 15-20 an axle if you look around