B18c4 missfire from cold start under load@ 2-3K

Guest jimbob738

I think the UKDM DC2 are 2.25" at the collector aren't they? I remember reading that it's in between the C4 and C6 sizes anyway.

I think that's right and the c4 is 1.75".

Guest jimbob738

My bad yeah the stock C4 one is small.

Well I ran it from cold now tried 3 ecu's all the same reaction so after changing near enough everything I have to hand I think I'm going to take it off the road.

I have wanted to take the intake off and put an after market one on for ages and I think if I am doing that may as well get the head ported & polished and get some ITR head stuff ( ITR cams, dual valve springs,valves, retainers) and get it running properly.

I think the engine is just tired in general and my brother wants to take his VTI-S off the road too so we are going to get them on his drive way side by side and sort them together he has Brian Cower internals to fit for his cylinder head anyway so its the right time I think.

back to the issue I think its an air leak somewhere around the intake manifold but to be honest the c4 intake is pretty restricting so I am dammed if I'm going to take it off and refit the stock one no sir if I'm fitting thermal gaskets its got to be with a skunk pro series intake, sadly I cant do this while I need it to get to work and such so its got to come off the road I'm not rushing this.

I really hope that the problem does lie with something you're changing for uprated mate! Be great if whilst you're taking stuff off you change you spot a split pipe that's going in the bin anyway or something! Then least you'll know when you next use it she'll run smoothly! 

When it does do it, how long does it last for? Mine's maybe 20 or 30 seconds.

It does happen as well when there's a lot of standing water around (never used to do this though) which makes me wonder if it's when the lamnda gets wet. When it does this, if i drive at higher revs and get the temps up to dry things out it stops.

Guest jimbob738

it is doing it between 2-3k I couldn't put a time frame on it really as if I floor through it then the car will drive through the coughing and spluttering, its not doing it so much when warm but I can still feel it struggling at that rev range, I went around it with carb cleaner to spot leaks last night after the match finished (my neighbours love me) and couldnt really find anything I sprayed all the vacuum lines and all around the mani gasket but nothing im gonna try again later because I did hear a faint whistle when I was driving my boy to school.

all I can say is I'm at maximum frustration with it and the heats not helping working out in the sun, I have had blank spots on Honda's before I just used to take the inlet off clean them out and refit them with fresh thermal gaskets and clean the IACV out much like this video instructs below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L788jKEVblY

another good one also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPqbaSgcok

but the issues have never been this severe where its almost cutting out on me, the chances of two sets of injectors and 3 ecu's being screwed is not possible I ran the injectors through and tested them with a feed and the patterns were fine so not them 100%.

who knows its a guessing game.

Guest jimbob738

OK found an air leak underneath the manifold bottom of the gasket, it seems oil has been dripping on it from the old rocker gasket the was on it could have perished the gasket.

I have ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-civic-MB6-B18c4-Hondata-thermal-intake-gasket-JDM/171350254042?_trksid=p3984.c100018.m2045&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140116134642%26meid%3D7589392757711029398%26pid%3D100018%26prg%3D20140116134642%26rkt%3D4%26

my dad has kindly paid for it and he has told me to just get them changed and stop messing about ( 30 years old and still get told by my dad) so I am going home from work early to strip down the manifold and clean it all out before I start work on the Jeep tomorrow I must be insane!!!!!

Guest jimbob738

I really hope so, failing that the only thing it could be is sticking valves which requires head strip down and reconditioning, had it once before on my old Milano red D16 ESI N reg, stripped the head and got it ported and polished took me two weeks and was like a rocket after I did that, but again wasn't this bad.

I cant see it being that though as its only done just over a hundred thousand miles.

I really hope its not that severe as we have already gone over im just going through a process of elimination with it.

• Like 1