B18c4 missfire from cold start under load@ 2-3K

Guest jimbob738

Guest jimbob738

OK I have just this minute compression tested it and confirmed my worry's cylinder 1 is loosing compression.

1 = 170 psi and steady drop to 150/140 and started to slow up (but was dropping just slowly)

2= 200psi held steady

3= 200psi held steady

4= 200psi held steady

so after that I wet tested it ( drop of oil in the cylinder to establish if it us a valve sealing  issue or ring seal), and it held at 210psi which indicates the rings aren't sealing

so if you have this issue form cold its more then likely worn rings/cylinder bores, as when its cold the metal has not yet started to expand, once it has when warm it masks the issue with more fuel.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have once again found out the hard way instead of just compression testing it I F*cked around trying to change this and that and cost me $$$$ I don't want  the same to happen to anyone else just get it tested ASAP

mine hasn't really burnt any oil really it did a bit when I dropped down a grade 5-40w motul (which I will never do again) Honda preach 10-40w and that's what im sticking to from now on, but it does run rich.

So Happy fathers day to all you baby fathers and now im gonna watch the world cup and cry into my Budweiser cry.gif1

Guest jimbob738

and plus you don't know how the previous owners treated them I believe mines stood for 4 years in a garage and then some tw*ts gone and turned the key and ran it up on old oil, its the risk you take but lets be honest I paid £800 and got two years motoring out of it doesn't owe me a thing.

I have decided that im gonna strip it and keep the engine and box loom and sell/scrap the rest as I never liked the MB6 handling anyway, not only that the clutch is about shot all the shocks are b****red and the steering racks leaking, I could spend hours on it and $$$$ its just not worth it.

I will eventually buy an eg and rekindle my youth with a fresh b18c in it but for now I will stored the engine in my workshop.

Guest jimbob738

True. Mine is a three owner full honda service history till I got it at 54k so I know nothing has been left wanting. But that said, I will get it checked. :-/

it takes 10 mins mate and every cylinder should hold at 200-210 psi so if it doesn't do a wet test drop oil into the bore and re-attached the gauge, if it holds pressure/goes up its a ring or bore problem if it still drops a valve isn't seating correctly that means its the head but tbf the heads an easier fix and cheaper you could just decoke the valves and reseat them.

I cant be ar5ed shelling out for new pistions and rings when really the cars not what I need/want anymore anyway sadly I am ready to go onto new projects.

I have enjoyed the last ten years with Honda's but financially this time its not practical.

I hope yours is OK tom I really do mate.

You have to draw the line somewhere and it sounds like it needs more than it's worth. If I had known the extent I'd have to go with mine I wouldn't have bothered. But it's taught me so much, that makes it worth every swear word, the blood and sweat that's gone into it so far :)

Guest jimbob738

exactly and you have  a driveway I don't mines on the road, I have a kind neighbour who lets me use his patch of land at the top if I need to but like you said I have drawn a line.

my ego says keep going but my wallet and heart say enough's enough.

a little gutted but also a little relieved.

Guest jimbob738

if it isn't that check the intake for air leaks (spray carb cleaner all around listen for idle changes) if that is the case replace the gaskets £40.

good luck tom.

Jamie

• Like 1