Brake pad shims & pastes

Dexter

What's the function of brake pad shims? I replaced my rear pads about a month ago, and there were no shims, previously they had been replaced at a shop. I fitted new pads which came with shims, but i left them out since it was really hard to get them fit with the shims. What difference do they make?

Second thing i've been thinking about is what kind of chemical you should use with the pads. I've learnt to put copper paste on the outsides of the pads and leave the shins out. Haynes manual recommends using "anti squeal compound" on the outsides of the pad also, but to use shims. The official workshop manual tells to use Molykote M77 (whatever that is) on both sides of the shims.

So what do you think, what's the best way to do this?

I think the shims are supposed to stop the pads moving around in the carrier, some of mine were missing pieces but have been fine.

I used this to grease up my pads http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-77275-castrol-red-rubber-grease-for-hydraulic-brake-and-clutch-components.aspx

Seems to have done the job! 

They stop vibrations and squeals buddy.

Most aftermarket pads come with anti squeal backing on them already. Stops the pads moving about too as many manufacturers use the same pads for different models and they aren't always a snug fit!