Intermittent wipe upgrade

androot

Hello fellow upgraders.

I'm just in the middle of a simple, some may say useful project. As you know the intermittent wipe means we have ony one option - one set period of time between the wipes and whatever the rain is doing you cant change it. I like things to be controlled a bit more so I'm going to change that to be able to smoothly adjust the range between around one sec to 10 between the wipes. Not sure about the high range thou. I had that in my previous car and I miss that hugely.

If somebody interested I can post it all so you can be more in control... Gee that sounded pathetic...

Anyway, sorry about my english and let me know if I should continue this topic; pleasure to share.

• Like 1

I was looking into this a while ago but ended up putting it into the too hard box for my crap knowledge of electronics.

Did get as far getting a wiper stalk from an accord which has the variable dial on (but not the rear wiper control)... Use for the redundant a/c button?

On some hondas you can just swap the control box with one which has the function, but every time i emailed someone breaking as accord they didn't have a clue what i was talking about :lol:

Will be really interested in this one ;)

• Like 1

Hi, again.

Lets continue, shall we?

I just spent most of the afternoon making the control unit. It required some knowlegde about making the pcb. After designing the pcb and altering the diagram seen below

180657.jpg

I traced the line on it with nail varnish (best so far). Before I was so fussy I used masking, lasering and sparying it before cooking in acid.

142524.jpg

144143.jpg

Afterwards the pcb looked like this. Not a pretty thing but it works.

153501.jpg

Then it was time for the best part which is soldering the components. There are a few options for P1/R2C1 relationship but I wont get into the subject of electronics because thats not the case here. I'll just give you the set up that works for me. The relationship between the P1, R2 and C1 gives me the adjusting range 1-29 sec between the wipes.

The unit is done and it looks like this

171609.jpg

All I need to do is connect the potentiometer P1 that adjust the time gap between the wipes and get my hands on the wiring in the car but that will happen tomorrow.

The list of components you will need:

US1 - SRD-12VDC-SL-C or similar relay

D1 - 1N4148

D2 - 1N4001

R1 - 300ohm

R2 - 1.2kohm

P1 - 100kohm

C1 - 470uF

C2 - 10nF

C3 - 47nF

To make a pcb you will need blank sheet like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Clad-PCB-Printed-Circuit-Board-305-x-203mm-/291106797937?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item43c7513971and ferric chloride. However you can always get it made by a professional company for a couple of quid. I can post the layout I worked out if somebody wants to get their hands dirty.

Sorry to be so laconic. My daughter needs attention so need to meet the fatherhood requirements 8-)

I will post progress soon and if you guys need more info PM me or reply here.

Back soon

• Like 2