strange power loss.

Gilman

Question

I’m having trouble with my 1.6 ISE at the moment. It starts fine and idles fine but as you drive without warning you can have a complete loss of power.

It doesn’t stall but you can have your foot mashed to the floor and nothing happens.

When it does it, it feels like you have lifted your foot off the accelerator and the car slows down and the revs drop. 

Then all of a sudden it will accelerate again and drive like normal for a bit.

It had done this once or twice in the past but very rarely, now its doing it every drive.

Any ideas?    

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply guys.

Its an annoying one as lots of things could cause it.

I have checked through lots of different things and from what i can tell it seems to be with the fuel delivery but cant find any faults with any of those components either.

I recently changed the exhaust which was blowing and that made it slightly better so O2 sensor might be a good shout.

Is there any way of testing it?  

If you unplug the current one, you should notice a difference (other than the engine management light being on) and hopefully that might help work out if it was/is causing an issue.

Generally speaking planting your foot to the floor is a good test.

The ecu will ignore the lambda at full throttle. So in theory in you have power loss and it all of a sudden improves when you go full throttle. That's po2.pointing at O2.

If problem still persists at full throttle maybe look elsewhere

• Like 1