flywheel resurfacing.

KiNK43

Hey hey.. Please excuse my amateurish question here. but last new clutch In my car was fitted with a brand new ITR flywheel.

now I'm changing clutch again. I'm looking at having the flywheel resurfaced. But is it really necessary???

I ask because this job is already becoming very expensive for me. Only local Place i know want 45+vat to resurface. And I'm struggling to get it to them due to working.

So my question is really.. do you guys have flywheel resurfaced when you change clutches and if not are there any real problems occurIng?

To be fair mine has some noticeable wear but it not massively scored or uneven in my opinion.

Thanks for any advice.

The only problem you might get that I know of is judder when pulling off if the flywheel is uneven or warped but you don't have to have it skimmed.

1. Inspect pressure plate surface for wear, cracks, burning or warpage in excess of .006" (.15 mm). Measure warpage with straightedge and feeler gauge at several points. Inspect clutch pilot and release bearing for smooth operation and looseness. Replace bearings if necessary.
2. Inspect clutch disc lining for excessive wear and burned or oil-soaked condition. Measure disc thickness and rivet depth. Inspect clutch disc for loose torsion dampers. Measure clutch disc and flywheel runout. Replace clutch disc if not within specifications.
3. Inspect flywheel ring gear teeth for wear and damage. Inspect flywheel for wear, cracks and burned condition. When measuring flywheel runout, push against flywheel to take up crankshaft thrust washer clearance.

from here

http://honda-tech.com/acura-integra-6/integra-dc2-clutch-assembly-removal-installation-inspection-more-2594608/

• Like 1

Cheers Andrew. Does seem expensive for resurface I'd imagine there just gonna scuff the surface. And not take any material off to any sort of accuracy.

Thanks for ya help ill decide what im gonna do with it tomorow.

Be aware of the issues of skimming an already lightened flywheel like the DC2 ones.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with skimming unless the flywheel had damage either by the clutch friction materials burning on to it or a totally worn out clutch damaging it with the rivets.

Alright cheers guys I think I'll just risk it then..

I think I've got to it just in time because the rivets are flush with friction material. And are scratched but the flywheel doesn't have any deep gouges or anything. So reckon I'll just stick it back in theN.

Thanks alot