Transmission need Help

Viltor

Question

Hello everyone,

2 or 3 months ago, I noticed when Im shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I notice sometimes some friction. is that normal ?

Most of the time its 1st to 2nd and it happens mostyle at low rpm, like 1500rpm or 2000 rpm, is that normal ? someone noticed that ?

Thanks

It's really hard to tell from the pic mate. What might be a good idea is to get under there with a heavy duty engine cleaner such as "Gunk". Clean the whole area and hose/power wash it all off. That way, your starting with a clean base and it will soon be apparent where that oil is coming from. It may be from an old leak that has since been sorted, so best to clean it all up and then watch over a week or so to see where it's coming from. ;-)

Might also be a good idea to get the levels checked once again, and if need be, change the gearbox oil.

It's one of the hardest places to determine a fault, the gearbox. The bent fork I think would possibly show the fault all the time, whether cold or warm. If the fork was bent, then you would get the same problem changing gear all the time.

I too would imagine the main fault now to be the clutch itself. How long/many miles has the clutch done to your knowledge? If unknown, then it could be a really old clutch now and may be due for a replacement. I know I had the 1st to 2nd crunch with my MB6, and the new clutch totally solved it. But had the same fault (although more severe, with 1st to 2nd, then 3rd back into 2nd) on my FN2, and that turned out to be 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th synchros totally gone.

Did the linkages look ok when you were under there?

Hi Dave, the linkages look ok. I also have news, yesterday my clutch fluid looked dark, so I decided to flush it with new DOT4 fluid, since I flushed it, it look like the gears are more smooth and I almost didnt get any crunch from 1st to 2nd. I also noticed that the clutch its bite points has been lowered.

PS: my clutch has 198k KM ~123k miles I dont know if its have been replaced or not 

Thanks

hello everyone, i have a new I dont know if it makes sense but, after driving for a  while with no crunches from 1st to 2nd I noticed there is a downhill near my home and most of the times i pass there i get a crunch from 1st to 2nd. could it it possible ? lol