1.5 engines

amand

Hello everyone,

I have searched the forum but cannot find solid information. I like the idea of VTEC-E and would like to go for a 1.5 civic. However I do not know if all 1.5's have the VTEC-E facility. Can someone please confirm if all 1.5's are with the Eco light etc or only a certain year?

Thanks,

amand

Eco mode is for the vtec e model yeah.

Don't know a lot about them never had one.

But I believe the vtec works differently effectively making it 12valve at low rpm.

Combined with a variable length intake. Known as 3 stage vtec or something.

Combined with long a*s gear ratios there good for upwards of 50mpg.

So the vtec is purely focused on minimising fuel consumption rather than making power like a traditional vtec engine.

• Like 1

I think 1.5 aerodecks are model MB9, wikipedia shows these models have D15Z8 engine which is a VTEC-E. Quite similar to mine, I have a 1.5 hatchback, model MB3 with D15Z6 VTEC-E engine.

Not sure what 3 stage VTEC is, think it's for EK 1.5, mine just makes a nice noise after 4k with aftermarket induction kit. VTEC-E engines are made for economy and not proper VTEC.

I have a 1.5 vtec-e in my 5door hatchback as i searched for a small vtec 1.6 or 1.5 for a while before finding a decent car but i learned the LS models dont produce as much power as the vtec models as engines are diffrent my engine is a d15z8 engine i did have a similar car in silver with 1.4 d14z2 engine which came out another civic and for some strange reason the 1.4 was quicker than my 1.5 vtec even though the vtec has 24bhp more but as kink43 said the 1.5 vtec-e has big gear ratios and takes longer to get too get up the revs but is really good on fuel 16 quid got me 116 miles and that was mainly town driving on the motorway they can get about 50mpg no problem making long distance crusing for these cars very effecint.

• Like 1

Yeah, has to be the 1.5 vtec to have the vtec-e system mate. They are actually really good engines, DAVEMB2 has one aswell as his K engined mb, and I've been in it. Obv not as quick as an mb6, but they are pretty nippy wee MB's. The fuel economy is nuts!!! Dave's been up here a few times and got over 500 miles to a tank if I remember rightly. Amazing on fuel! And sound the part too!

There's also two versions of the 1.4, one has more power (think it's the D14A2 if memory serves me right, which is what was in my 1.4). Again, for a 1.4, and considering it was a fairly heavy car, was still pretty quick.

Thank you all for your help here. I'm honestly just looking for an economical car that's cheap to buy and run. Would go for diesel but don't want to risk things going wrong especially when they're old.

So I'll be looking out for a 1.5 vtec.

• Like 1