Dave

Daves Mazda MX5 Mk1 (aka Mindy)

Been working away in the garage again! We had bought really rough tombstone seats a while back. They were filthy, had rips in the vinyl and looked awful, but we were going to get them retrimmed so didn't matter. Problem is, the seat bases need swapped over as the UK spec mx5 has the seat belts bolted to the seat base (so to9mbstone seats have nowhere for the seat belt to bolt on to). We decided to strip the seats down and also take the covers off to see if they would maybe clean up a bit in the washing machine. If we could get the bases swapped over, we could use the seats until we were ready for them going to the trimmers to be covered in leather.

So, started removing seats..

20190320_235317mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

Then stripped the covers off the seats. Hats off to Gayle, who removed all the little metal clips holding covers on (bloody hundreds of the pesky buggers!) while I held the seat firm/held cover out of the way.

20190318_133607mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

Cover off

20190318_134729mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

The seat base covers were horrible, all stained (including oil stains) and smelt of cat pee! They has been stored in a barn so anyones guess what the actual smell was! Back rest hanging up in conservatory to dry after a long time in the washing machine!! Came out really nice!

20190318_135559mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

Now the refitting of the covers could begin. Rather than use the clips (which were mostly corroded and busted anyways) we chose to use cable ties. Cable ties all put in place first before offering up cover.

20190320_133534mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

And then fitting the cover. Horrible job, and fingers are still sore!

20190320_123941mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

Before fitting the tombstone base cusion to the uk spec metal seat base, I rust treated them then primered followed by spraying them in satin black. Know you won't see this once fitted, but I like wee details like this done properly.

20190321_103157mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

Seat finally built. Note the split that I also repaired by using vinyl repair section cut from the old seats.

20190321_003244mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

Fitted to car........splits now repaired on both seats.

20190321_154052mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

20190321_154121mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

This spending money has to stop! Another box arrived addressed to Mindy.......what has the wee minx been buying now??

Something very nice, that's what!!

20190320_235117mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

I've always loved the Nardi wooden steering wheels, but being 360mm they were too big if you were tall like me. Problem being that in order to drive the mx5, my left leg had to be at a very uncomfortable angle to work the clutch, as it couldn't fit under the steering wheel. So the wheel I bought is only 330mm. Took me ages to hunt down a wheel that has the same styling as the Nardi (spokes etc all look similar) but smaller. This one came all the way from Germany and wasn't cheap! Still, love the way it looks. Also got a Nardi horn push badge coming which will finish it off nicely.

20190321_154137mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg20190321_154148mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg         

Had her out for a wee test drive, and felt weird at first with the wheel being smaller (and wood) but also because my leg wasnt trapped against the wheel anymore. There is another mod to remove a wee spacer from the column to gain another wee bit room so will be doing that too. New seats feel so much better! More supportive due to the side bolsters, but seem to have more padding too. Plus as Gayle pointed out, no more cold draft on your neck due to the space between the old seat and the headrest! Next job will be to get new speakers for the seats as the originals have disintegrated, then get it all wired up. Well happy, and again, find it theraputic to be working on Mindy again, albeit at a much slower pace.

Oh, old seats and bases etc, which will be on their way to the tip tomorrow! Manky!

20190321_154036mx5_Tombstone_seats_nardi)wooden_steeringwheel.jpg

• Like 2

Good work chief, looks like they came up really good 8-)

• Like 1

They did Simon, well chuffed. Not perfect, but then theyll be getting redone in leather anyways so least they're ready to go to the trimmers. Deffo look nicer than the previous ones!

• Like 1

Nice project there Dave! Good to see you still tinkering away! Good project for Gail too i may add! 

Like those cars, never driven one, never mind driven one in anger so imagine would be a blast :)

agree with Tom tho...needs more power! 

• Like 1

Thanks Ali. Yeah, a wee bit kore power would be nice i guess for any straight roads, although tbh we always go and find the wee back roads when we go anywhere in Mindy. Tis a mega blast if giving her beans on the twisty roads though! What i would really like is the six speed box from the mk2.5, the gearing on the motorway means quite high revs at 70-80.

I texted you the other day Ali, spotted your old Accord in Musselburgh. Still looks sweet as hell!

12 hours ago, Dave said:

Thanks Ali. Yeah, a wee bit kore power would be nice i guess for any straight roads, although tbh we always go and find the wee back roads when we go anywhere in Mindy. Tis a mega blast if giving her beans on the twisty roads though! What i would really like is the six speed box from the mk2.5, the gearing on the motorway means quite high revs at 70-80.

I texted you the other day Ali, spotted your old Accord in Musselburgh. Still looks sweet as hell!

The gearbox would make a huge difference, then you could change gears as many times as The Fast & Furious dudes and dudettes!!

Sorry Dave, didnt see any texts from you ref Accord! The old guy must be lovin it then if he's cruisin about, hopefully without being full of Whiskey this time :(

11 hours ago, burbleboy said:

The gearbox would make a huge difference, then you could change gears as many times as The Fast & Furious dudes and dudettes!!

Sorry Dave, didnt see any texts from you ref Accord! The old guy must be lovin it then if he's cruisin about, hopefully without being full of Whiskey this time :(

It was a youngish dude driving it mate, maybe in his mid to late 20's? No older than 30 i thought. Ill need to check that number! Have you changed number recently?

Lol, yeah have to love their 28 speed gearboxes in F n F!applause.gif1

12 hours ago, Dave said:

It was a youngish dude driving it mate, maybe in his mid to late 20's? No older than 30 i thought. Ill need to check that number! Have you changed number recently?

Lol, yeah have to love their 28 speed gearboxes in F n F!applause.gif1

It was an old alky at about 50 - 60 years old that bought it! Probably couldn't stand speed bumps n punted it on :)

My number ends in 958 mate. Defo can't remember getting your text as would have replied :(

You all having a meet this year? 

4 hours ago, burbleboy said:

It was an old alky at about 50 - 60 years old that bought it! Probably couldn't stand speed bumps n punted it on :)

My number ends in 958 mate. Defo can't remember getting your text as would have replied :(

You all having a meet this year? 

Deffo no an old codger driving it now mate! Lol yeah, would love to have a meet this year, not sure if we're gonna have the funds to get DD on the road though, need to wait and see. Im skint at the moment! Would be great to see everyone again. 

Just checked your number on my phone. Its ending "077". Lol no wonder you didnt get the text rlol.gif1

Mine still the same, ends 701. You want to text me your number Ali and I'll change it in my phone.

Sooooo, went out with Mindy today as had a wee meet arranged with one of the members from mx5oc.co.uk (Robin). He had just got his Eunos back on the road after a lot of time, work and money spent bringing it back from the risk of being scrapped to an absolute stunner!

Met over in South Queensferry, Down by the Forth Rail Bridge. It was too busy there for a wee photoshoot, so we headed over to the marina. Had a passenger ride in Robins mx5 and that thing can shift! It's a 1.8 auto, but being the Eunos import the box has sports mode and it really makes a difference! The whole car has had a body rebuild and also all the chassis/suspension replaced with brand new (inc wishbones etc) so feels really nice (and looks really nice underneath too!).

We had a coffee and a good long chat in between the photos, so really nice day. Weather was really overcast (hence some of the photos being slightly dark) but no rain. By the time I got home, the bloody sun had come out! Typical!. Anyways, Mindy enjoyed the run and meeting up with her playmate (she's already met Robins wifes MK2.5 MX5 Sport) and we had some American tourist lady come over to us to talk about the mx5's! So all good!

Here's some of the photos.

black_n_white2Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgBlack_n_whiteForth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0032Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0051Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0052Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0053Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0054Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0055Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0056Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0058Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0059Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0061Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgrobin_mx5.jpgDSC_0045Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpgDSC_0037Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpg

Hope you likey!

DSC_0062Forth_Bridge_MX5s.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pics! Nice your able to meet up with another forum member and chat about cars etc over a cuppa! 

Incidentally, does Eunos have lowered suspension compared to yours? Looks lower if still on standard set up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burbleboy said:

Nice pics! Nice your able to meet up with another forum member and chat about cars etc over a cuppa! 

Incidentally, does Eunos have lowered suspension compared to yours? Looks lower if still on standard set up

Thanks Ali. Yeah was nice to meet up with another enthusiast of the mx5, specially the mk1. Met Robin a few times but hes usually in his mk2.5 so first time seeing this mk1. Correct on the lowering, Eunos is on Koni street kit. Mine is on brand new oem spec suspension. Forgot to add the pics of Mindys interior as that's had a nice upgrade that i forgot to post up!

So, just a wee job done today! In the boot on the left side there is a metal panel that protects the fuel filler pipe. This is an unpainted panel, and as such has no paint to protect it so they rust. It's covered by carpet so nobody really bothers about it but you know me, it was bugging me where you could see it through the carpet.

Off it came to get prepped. Sanded it done and treated any rusty bits.

Sanded down

20190522_132217boot tidied up mx5.jpg

rust treated and then 3 coats of primer

20190522_133101boot tidied up mx5.jpg

Then 3 coats of red and refitted to the car. This was before I put the carpet back in place. Just think it looks neater.

20190522_135628boot tidied up mx5.jpg

Oh, and a wee photo of Mindy and my Aerodeck (DD)

20190529_090224boot tidied up mx5.jpg

MOT is now out so she will be getting booked in for this Wednesday.....fingers crossed!

• Like 2

The girls are looking good bud 8-)

• Like 1

Thanks mate! Well happy with them both. Mot time tomorrow!!! Mindy is to go in first, then DD in for her retest. 8-)

And Mindy sailed through her test! Mot guy said shes a good one. Only one advisory which was a small oil leak which i knew about but have yet to trace. Well happy with that!!!

DD also passed her mot now, so both will be seeing some miles soon! Very happy bunny!

6 hours ago, Dave said:

And Mindy sailed through her test! Mot guy said shes a good one. Only one advisory which was a small oil leak which i knew about but have yet to trace. Well happy with that!!!

DD also passed her mot now, so both will be seeing some miles soon! Very happy bunny!

Like there was any chance of a fail ;)

Good stuff mate! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burbleboy said:

Like there was any chance of a fail ;)

Good stuff mate! 

lol that's what Gayle said!!!! Must just be me that's paranoid! lolapplause.gif1

Oh and the pics of Mindy's interior.......got the wood kit for the dash tombstone and centre console.

1wood-dash-trim-mx5.jpg2wood-dash-trim-mx5.jpg

Did a machine polish on her (clayed first) so she's looking shiney. Still badly want to respray her though!

1detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg2detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg4detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg20190405_145932.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, and her mirrors are colour coded now (found out they were already colour coded but had been badly sprayed with some cheapy satin black paint. Bit of thinners and off it came! Isn't done in the photos above but is on the mini meet ones further up the page with Robins mk1

Whether you keep your cars very well maintained or not.....tis still a great feeling and relief when they pass.

Looks like a real good example this one. Very tidy

Bit of a problem developed with Mindy!  Seems she has started a slight missfire under load at around 2000rpm and below. Have ordered an OBD (1) reader to see if that can trace the fault but in the meantime thought I'd check then replace her spark plugs. Got nice new ones as I couldn't see any mention of them being changed in her history.

20190626_180145Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

Got the first three fitted without any issues (old ones looked really discoloured although only one seemed to be burning wrong.) but the last one (typically the one against the bulkhead so hardest to get at) when taking the plug lead off, the rubber end came off and is stuck to the plug away down inside the hole. meaning I can't get the socket onto the plug to get it out! Was going to be replacing the leads too, so with this one doing that seems a good idea to bin the old ones. I've added some photos below of the problem rubber.

How the lead should look:

20190626_175604Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

The big rubber bit on the end that seals around the plug is the bit that's came off and is stuck onto the plug away down in the hole.

How the problem lead looks (shows rubber bit is missing)

20190626_175630Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

And the rubber down in the hole stuck to the plug

20190626_175643Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

I need a pair of really long nosed pliers, but the kind that work in the opposite way to normal pliers (like the ones that you use to remove circlips so the ends open when you squeeze the handles) as I think that might be able to pull the rubber bit out. Anyone got any idea how to get this out?

Do you have a pick screwdriver thing? 

Just need to dig into the rubber and pull it!!!

Chopsticks

Knitting needles

Two long screwdrivers

Etc etc!!!!

IMG-20190626-WA0004.jpg

• Like 1

Hate it when cack like this happens. blowupsmiley.gif

• Like 1