ULEZ Compliant or not? 1998 D14A8 1.4 Engine

MB2Guy

So frustrating because when you look at the bigger picture, the cars they allow in to ULEZ's (EV's etc) have created a massive carbon footprint during manufacture in recent times, where as our cars have made their impact in the 1990's, and although have higher emmissions than the current ev's, our 90's cars (if well maintained) are putting out combined less of a footprint now in the present time. The years it will take for ev's to offset their manufacturing footprint is years away, and going by how long the batteries last, they might not even manage to offset that footprint. 

The target set is zero emissions, which to me is totally unrealistic. Unless the cars are powered by water (or possibly hydrogen), they will never be Zero emissions. I have to laugh at the "Zero emissions" stickers plastered all over our work ev's! It's like "zero emissions?....it's been chargiung all night on the mains grid, causing more pollution at the power station, and of course the aforementioned manufacturing footprint. Zero emissions at the exhaust pipe (ok, eve's dont have one! lol) doesn't mean zero permissions into the atmosphere.:wink:

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, Dave said:

So frustrating because when you look at the bigger picture, the cars they allow in to ULEZ's (EV's etc) have created a massive carbon footprint during manufacture in recent times, where as our cars have made their impact in the 1990's, and although have higher emmissions than the current ev's, our 90's cars (if well maintained) are putting out combined less of a footprint now in the present time. The years it will take for ev's to offset their manufacturing footprint is years away, and going by how long the batteries last, they might not even manage to offset that footprint. 

The target set is zero emissions, which to me is totally unrealistic. Unless the cars are powered by water (or possibly hydrogen), they will never be Zero emissions. I have to laugh at the "Zero emissions" stickers plastered all over our work ev's! It's like "zero emissions?....it's been chargiung all night on the mains grid, causing more pollution at the power station, and of course the aforementioned manufacturing footprint. Zero emissions at the exhaust pipe (ok, eve's dont have one! lol) doesn't mean zero permissions into the atmosphere.:wink:

There was a video doing the rounds a while back of an electric excavator (I think) being charged on a site... But the site was powered by a diesel generator :lol:

• Haha 1