creaking front wheel

dr_broon

evening all,

last week or so (since coming back from the last meet 1"£££$££"! ) I've been getting a naughty creaking sound from my front passenger side wheel.

at first it was while stationary, when turning the wheel a quarter to the left. then it started doing it at low speeds and while pulling away.

searched the web and found (hopefully) the solution on a fiat stilo forum (of all places) - apparently it's a common problem (I hear fiats have many....)

it said to jack the car up and try turning the wheel with it off the ground (i.e. no load) if it doesn't creak then, it's due to dry steering / suspension parts.

so jack it up I did, went crazy with some gt85 (other spray lubes are available..) on every moving part I could spray, and lo the creak has gone.

I'll report back if it hasn't really gone, but so far so good... :D

Hopefully I haven't just hidden the symptoms of a bigger problem.

original link to fiat forum....

http://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/69813-cr ... ering.html

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

must say i thought the same - it started just after driving over a branch on the road (the yaris in front just cruised over tghe top of it).

Like I say, if it comes back I'll let you know, if not, happy days with some oily spraying antics!

Haha cool. I went over a dead pigeon the other day and that caught on the bottom of my car, i didnt think it was that low lol.

Its hard to say when mine started doing it, but now as you said it happens at different times which is strange

aye.. it's a bit soggy today... think that I'll leave crawling around until it's dry and go to the pub tonight instead.

will have a spy at the boot like. :)

i have had to have my exhaust adjusted again, bloody powerflow! So whilst it was up on the ramp i have had a look and all the boots are fine. I have asked the guy here and he said it could be the spring seats or something else to do with the suspension

had the same issue and it turned out to be the upper control arm ball joint. have both control arms inspected as well as the lower ball joints.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived