ok to use this oil?

nathan123487

i got a bottle of unopened magnatec here but i checked the other oil this mornign and theres 3 and a half litres not 4 ( my brother has some explaining to do) which i believe is the correct amount for a 1.4 ?? however i wouldnt mind using the other oil just to get rid of it rather than chuck it away , however this oil in asda sounds tempting so i might just buy a bottle ready for next oil change, my haynes manual says the oil change is everry 12k ?? isnt it every 9? .... my civics been hving its oil changes every 10k so should i stick to the 10k or do it every 9?

cheers guys

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some are 6k some are 9k depending on build date. I read that for 6k engines you change the oil at 6 then oil and filter at 12 and so on. always best to do filter at same time but I think I may just do oil on this 6k as for a tenner you can't go wrong. I didn't really look into the 9k schedule but the more often oil is changed the better, apparently.

Also depends how you drive. Lots of short journeys will contaminate oil quicker than motorway miles. Personally I change it every 3k miles. Probably a little overkill but better safe than sorry.

Also depends how you drive. Lots of short journeys will contaminate oil quicker than motorway miles. Personally I change it every 3k miles. Probably a little overkill but better safe than sorry.

Yeah mate, my 1 series has clever servicing stuff! The harder you drive the faster it tells you to change the oil!

It's not even got a dipstick! The manual tells NOT to put ANY oil in, UNLESS the car tells you to! It's mad, only happened the once, but it comes up on the dash, put in 1 litre of 10/40 :D Wierd but cool!

i got a bottle of unopened magnatec here but i checked the other oil this mornign and theres 3 and a half litres not 4 ( my brother has some explaining to do) which i believe is the correct amount for a 1.4 ?? however i wouldnt mind using the other oil just to get rid of it rather than chuck it away , however this oil in asda sounds tempting so i might just buy a bottle ready for next oil change, my haynes manual says the oil change is everry 12k ?? isnt it every 9? .... my civics been hving its oil changes every 10k so should i stick to the 10k or do it every 9?

cheers guys

i change the oil every 5/6k and the oil filter every 10/12k

and i use castrol gtx

evrey change i take the filter off and let the oil and oil filter drain for a hour or two ;)

worth doing the filter as its only £4 or £5 for one..

Hardly breaking the bank.

there should be a guide on how often your car requires servicing in your car manual.

high performing models are often around 6k whereas the lower models are 9 or 12k,

i just do it as and when i feel its required so i do it every 5k miles which is roughly every six months for me.

Its pointless changing the oil every month or two especially if you dont cover much mileage..

just a waste in my opinion

Yeah mate, my 1 series has clever servicing stuff! The harder you drive the faster it tells you to change the oil!

It's not even got a dipstick! The manual tells NOT to put ANY oil in, UNLESS the car tells you to! It's mad, only happened the once, but it comes up on the dash, put in 1 litre of 10/40 :D Wierd but cool!

thats pretty clever stuff.

modern technology ay!

Archived