VTEC on B18c4, and ECU question

Lars P

Yeah i do mate, its all in the manual, i'll dig out the page soon. The b18c4 was built for economy in the lower revs, and performance in the higher ones. Its the only VTEC engine to have a 2 stage VTEC, using the two stage inlet manifold, ITR and B16 VTI etc has a 1 stage VTEC, with normal inlet manifold, and as for EP3 type r, thats a completely different VTEC system altogether mate. I will edit this post with the page number soon mate! ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its kinda hard to explain without my course notes!! But it uses the same type of VTEC a ITR has, one stage, but it has a VTC, (cant remember what it stands for! :oops: ) but that advances and retards the cam timing, depending on RPM, engine speed etc etc, thats what the i means on the i-VTEC, it means 'intelligent'. Its clever stuff, i will try to find a decent explanation and then let you all know if you are interested! 8-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

B16's B18C6's all have a single stage VTEC, which is why its so intense and nosiy when it crosses over.You can acheive this with the B18C4 in different ways.

- Take your car to a reputable tuner, change the VTEC cross over points by remapping the ECU, advance the timing a bit and bang Single stage VTEC crossover.

or

- Replace your snail shell intake manifold with a Skunk 2 mani. Doing this will reaplce the Dual runner VTEC butterflies with a single set of VTEC butterflies. install a set of CTR, ITR cams (not nessesary but proves big gains with the Skunk2 Mani), get it remapped or install a VTEC controller of some sort (VAFC) or have remapped to tell the ECU when VTEC should crossover. Doing this should put you at the 190Hp range along with a decent exhaust and induction kit, and a loud/intense VTEC crossover.

#2 is my summer project, ill post the gains along with install pics etc when done. :D

Sorry to bring back to life an old topic but whilst on the subject of the dual intake system has anyone attempted to use an ecu from an integra SI (Same engine) to see if the map is more agressive?

yeah mate you are correct, the itegra si does indeed have a more agressive ecu. I know a guy who has a vtis and this was a mod he was going to carry out. he'd also changed the gearbox to the s80 itr box, which made big improvements. if you can get a hold of the Si ecu, it would be worth trying ;)

just spoke to cpl racing about hondata my main questions were about which ecu to use as i want to keep the dull runner mani so asked about iab at which point he told me that the mani was a load of junk and to do away with it , so i explained that i wasn't looking for big power gains up top just want a bit more torque low down and that the long runners would support this and that they offered good fuel consumption he disagreed i then told him that because vtec is so early 4400 on b18c4 that for my needs a bit more torque from 2500 to 4000 would make for a better daily drive and because at this rev range keeping of the vtec cam would keep fuel costs down , he basically told me that no vtec comes in that early and that i was talking poo at that point i hung up , so its no wonder that peeps get confused about vtec if the experts dont know :?:?:o:o

Archived