Ive got to be careful of what I do as at 18 they murder you with the insurance.

Just be thankful you dont mess with Classic cars too, everytime I work on the Humber I find something else rotten or playing up, Ill give it its dues at 46 though.

LOL Can sympathise there mate, i used tp restore the classics too........Mk 3 cortinas to be exact (1970-1976 models) ! money pits!! :lol:

lol correct! it's me! I havent had time to get logged in there this week mate, so sorry for that. I'll have the pics up for you to see the spoiler tomorrow ;) Just to confirm tho, does yours already have a boot spoiler? Not too sure if you have one that keeps failing the mot because of the third brake light issue, or if the mot guy told you it would fail? TBH, id go to a different mot station either way, as its something i've never heard of before!!. Just need to make sure im not going to sell you the same spoiler that you may already have ;)

failing the mot because of the third brake light issue

Sorry to jump in on this kinda mid flow, if you mean the spoiler obstructing the third brake light you mot guy would be right. You need to either fit a vti spoiler with a brake light and hook it up (easy I can do a how to) or removing the third light completely should solve this issue (though never personally tried this option). All you need are some marine grade stainless bolts and washers from ebay to fill the holes (couple of £).

i'm gonna remove mine once the vti spoiler is on, good to know what to bung the holes in the window with, id been wondering what to use! The light is still visible on mine with the present spoiler, depending what angle your at. If sat behind in another car, you can see it, but the spoiler is in the way a bit.

I was using both for a while but didn't like looking like a christmas tree when braking. The improvement in rear view is pretty dramatic with it gone. When I get to doing a project thread I'll put a pic and some specs up of the bolts; not had any leaks yet!

Mines an SE so it came spoilerless, the MOT ruling is that you need 50% Visable to pass, if yours is then its legal. Dave if thats the spoiler on the car then you needn't worry about the pics as it looks good on the car, I just need to figure out what it will cost to turn it red.

If anyone else wants MOT stuff just google for MOT UK, its pretty good and exsplains the whole manual which is helpful when trying to get a 46 year old rust bucket on the road with no clue what part should take priority lol

Another way of getting round it is taking it off before the MOT, putting it back after.

You can even get the garage to legally do it, as I assisted with once when a track Nissan came in with a straight through pipe insted of a cat. Swap bypass with shiny new cat, MOT and then put pipe back.

Im a tester guys, and yeah, the third brakelight rule is complete rubbish!! The manual states that you need a working brake light on either side of the vehicle only, to pass your MOT, and it should work when the brake pedal is applied, that it goes off when you take your foot off, and when its working it should not affect the working of any other light, and its the right colour. If the third brakelight doesnt work, it SHOULDNT FAIL!! So, if anyone is having this problem, just disconnect it, or take the bulb out. In theory, you should get an advisory notice to say it doesnt work, but your tester shouldnt fail it for not working!! Sorted!! :ugeek:;)

• Dave pinned this topic
  • Dave unpinned this topic