Tried and tested headlight bulbs

ryan..

As we all know the optics in the MB and MA headlights are awful meaning you will never get decent light output unless you bodge a projector housing in there.

Order (best to worst)

1.Ring Xenon Ultima 120%

2.Philips Xtreme Vision

3.Philips Xtreme Power

4.Osram Nightbreaker Plus (ideal if you are on a budget)

5.Philips Rally bulbs 90/100w (not road legal)

6.Philips Diamond Vision (not road legal)

I'm thinking we create a list of H4 bulbs we've used and a short review to help other choose as when it comes to choosing what lights to buy the market is flooded with 50% this, 60% that etc.

Philips X-treme vision:

A great all rounder with good beam length. Not really a white light, more like the oem yellowish but you get good visibility in all conditions. Only down side is the price: £32 from powerbulbs

Philips Diamond Vision:

Very white beam but i've nothing else good to say about these bulbs. Visability is close to dangerous. They are pricey too, power bulbs have them for £35

Philips Rally bulbs 90/100w:

Similar to the X-treme vision really only difference is the wattage. Good distance although very yellowy light.

Price at powerbulbs: £22.49

Osram Nightbreaker Plus:

Dipped these have very good vision. Similar beam length and brightness to the Philips X-treme vision.

Main beam gives a slight white addition to the light thanks to the way the bulb is tinted. Very light blue but only part of it. This help greatly with vision also. Overall a great bulb and well worth the money.

Power bulbs ask £23.95 a pair (can be found on ebay cheaper though)

2 Month review:

After using these for the last 2 months they were OK. Nothing spectacular but it is difficult to get great light from H4 bulbs. I removed them last night to find the cap at the end of the bulb was already flaking off, proof that they are cheap for a reason. Obviously not built that well imo.

Still, a good bulb if you want a decent output but dont mind about poor build quality and dont want to spend a lot.

Philips X-treme power:

An older model now and not listed as current by Philips but still not a bad bulb. Good distance (not as good as the X-treme vision which replaced these) and a visability is not bad either. Colour is yellowish as the entire bulb is clear (the white look is got by coating the bulb blue but this compromises light output) If I didnt want to spend as much as the X-treme vision I'd certainly considor these.

Price: Around £20

Ring Xenon Ultima 120%

Upon using these its obvious Ring are going for maximum output aswell as a nice whiteish colour. The bulbs are mostly clear with a tiny bit of blue at the top to help give the light that slightly whiter look but without affeting the performance.

Easily as good as the Philips X-treme Vision in performance, if not slightly better they have a good output on both dipped and main beam and dont look too orange either, white enough without loosing output. Build quality didnt look quite as good as the philips but much better than the Osrams. We'll see how they last overtime. Certainly a bulb i'd recomend. Around £25

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got some LED sides too. Got them from Mylitco on ebay. They have resistors already fitted so no popping fuses lol Very bright so you can be seen quite well in side light conditions.

Im currently researching LED headlights and how they are being used. It would be nice for them to use H4 connections so we can use them but I cant see that happening :(

i've got Osram nightbreakers, (civic ep3)

i had some ebay normal ones before, the OSRAMS are so much way brighter..

i loved my drive down the motorway today, roads were clear to see and even on the dark dual carriage i didn't need to use full beams. I got them for £11-75 plus postage. Total around £14 for the pair.

Probably the best i've had tbh.

iv heard the high performance bulbs dont last as long as normal ones

the bulb the burns twice as bright burns half as long

Thats one hell of a generalisation there chap.

It is true they dont last as long as cheapo ones BUT its the same as tyres. You can buy ones which will last for ages and cost much less than more expensive ones but dont perform aswell. The same applies for bulbs too. I'd much rather spend £20-£30+ on a set of bulbs and see better than spend £5 and see b****rall but them last longer

Archived