Tried and tested headlight bulbs

ryan..

osram nightbreaker plus = they are meant to last longer then normal bulbs!

i find, if you start the car up first and leave it running for a minute or two.. its help pro=long the life of the bulbs rather then turning the headlights on and then starting it causing a jump in the voltage.. may not be true, but just what i have found to be..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always start my car with everything switched off, just a habit I have. Then turn stuff on when I need it.

its common sense too, the starter need all/most of the power to turn the engine on start up, if you have everything off and clutch engaged it makes life for you engine easier

you would'nt wake up in the morning and try get out of bed while brushing your teeth and putting on you clothes while trying to find wheeler dealers on tv :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

No, you should be fine with that wattage. It takes some serious current to start melting wires; you'd usually get that only with shorts when there's next to no load. Even 1mm wire should handle over 5A & you're not much above that.

p.s. Nice writeup Ryan, cheers :) Realised how crap my lights are now the clocks have changed - I've got Halfords bulbs which are supposedly 50% brighter. They're not. Unless they were referring to the cast of The Only Way is Essex.

No, you should be fine with that wattage. It takes some serious current to start melting wires; you'd usually get that only with shorts when there's next to no load. Even 1mm wire should handle over 5A & you're not much above that.

Ok, thanks for the advice! :) so the plastic parts of headlights will last too the extra heat from new 100 W bulbs? Sorry but i don't want to make harm to the headlights! ;)

Hmm, that I can't tell you! 100-odd-watt bulbs are fairly common practise but aren't road legal here in the UK, they're for off-road only. I'd be suprised if the headlights weren't manufactured with a big enough safety margin to handle 100W way before the plastic started melting; but I'm guessing!!!

Hmm, that I can't tell you! 100-odd-watt bulbs are fairly common practise but aren't road legal here in the UK, they're for off-road only. I'd be suprised if the headlights weren't manufactured with a big enough safety margin to handle 100W way before the plastic started melting; but I'm guessing!!!

Me too, mate, me too! :D I guess it's time to try what happens! 100 W bulbs are illegal in road use in here Finland too but it's a lottery win if local police finds out what bulbs you are using. And if they do they propably ASK you to change them to legal ones on the next gas station. 8-)

Archived