Vtec doesn't always work?

vtec2011

Hi there! I was wondering if there's such thing as maintaining or checking the Vtec system. Is there any sensors, wiring or the Vtec solonoid need to be checked? On my Civic it seems that the Vtec only sometimes kick in after 5000rpm. When the Vtec doesn't kick in, it feels really flat and you don't hear that sound or that rev change (you know what i mean lol). Being a SOHC you won't really notice the Vtec kick in but i definatly know its not always there. I have gave it a full service a few weeks ago, oil, oil filter, K&N panel air filter, new genuine Honda gearbox oil and the rest.

Any help or advise would be great, thanks for reading :D

i would start there to after that it will be a solonoid,oil pressure,ecu or wiring fault. Rich.

Thanks for the tips. I will have a look, hopefully its just the solonoid because its really easy to get to..

yes like said above you do not have a ture v-tec like me the mb3 comes in at 2500 give or take a few lol . before that it only opens the intake half way and runs lean ( thats why its good on fuel) when it hits 2500 opens them up to normal

I replaced the Vtec solenoid gasket, the screen was really clogged up but that didn't make any difference at all. And i also checked the oil level and thats fine. Yes its a MB3 but few days after i bought it, it use to really give that bit of kick over 4'500rpm. I know its only a SOHC Vtec-E but its not as fast since i done a service on it :?

Archived