how good is ZS 180 setup?

col

Can anybody give a bit more info about the effect of the MG 180 suspension (shocks, springs, rear ARB) on the handling, comfort, and general pro's and cons against standard MB6 suspension? I like the ride of my standard MB6 but seems a tad slow/unbalanced responding in hard cornering, just don't wanna gain better cornering for 5% of the time then get my fillings jarred loose for the remaining 95%! I've got a 180 rear ARB to fit but just wondering if it's worth going for the full setup? I'm using standard 15" alloys on 195/55.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody give a bit more info about the effect of the MG 180 suspension (shocks, springs, rear ARB) on the handling, comfort, and general pro's and cons against standard MB6 suspension? I like the ride of my standard MB6 but seems a tad slow/unbalanced responding in hard cornering, just don't wanna gain better cornering for 5% of the time then get my fillings jarred loose for the remaining 95%! I've got a 180 rear ARB to fit but just wondering if it's worth going for the full setup? I'm using standard 15" alloys on 195/55.

It's by no means HARD, more firm.

Some one will be along with an MB6 in a moment to throw the diffrences at you, but on a 'deck it's like night and day!

Hello. :D

If you keep it with the mgzs springs I would imagine you won't notice the difference in ride comfort, mine is dropped on Eibach -40 springs so is pretty hard on bad roads but saying that I live with it as a daily driver quite happily and the roads are terrible round where I live.

The shocks are stiffer but not really hard as far as handling characteristics go it will make the car much sharper, turn in will be crisper with less body roll and understeer and will complement the rear arb perfectly. :D

In short as Tom says night and day really and definitely worth doing, hope that helps. :D

Thanks for the replies lads. Truth is I've a full setup already just wanna know if it's gonna be worth getting it all done at once. I can do the ARB myself at home but changing shocks will be a ramp job but you've twisted my arm - gonna go for it!

a ramp is not very good for changing shocks

i done it at home on the floor in a very slow four hours

i will walk you through all the steps as i rember them well if you want

i recomend you keep you wallet in your pocket and diy ill help you =]

If It can be done without ramps then that's gonna save me a bit! Just thought that any rubber mounts have to be torqued up with the weight of the car on the wheel and I assumed I'd not be able to get to the bolts without a ramp/pit, Is it easy to get to them or will the car need heightened on wood/blocks?

James - A very kind offer and great if you would. I've got the manual but nowt like getting it first-hand from someones who's done it! Not sure when I'm gonna do it but maybe do the front one week then back the next. My car's not a daily driver (got a Vito for work) so no trouble about doing it in steps.

If It can be done without ramps then that's gonna save me a bit! Just thought that any rubber mounts have to be torqued up with the weight of the car on the wheel and I assumed I'd not be able to get to the bolts without a ramp/pit, Is it easy to get to them or will the car need heightened on wood/blocks?

i done mine just using a trolley jack and axel stands! took about 6-7 hours but about 1.5 - 2 of that was spent drilling out one of the bolts that snapped off the fork and trying to find nut and bolt that fitted!!

in terms of ride comfort, def stiffer, didn't realise the state of our roads until after upgrade! still not fitted my arb yet!