project stealth

mk1kid

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice effort mk1kid

btw can you give me some advice on how to disassemble the front grill (remove the border from the middle part and remove the H badge)? I want to have the grille border painted since my car suffered a bump and almost whole right side of my car is gonna have to be repainted. It was mainly the right rear doors but since they are gonna be replaced by the orleans blue ones I had spare they will need a complete respray. Also the front door has little scratch so that will have to be repainted as well and the rear wheel arch was a bit damaged as well, so they will probably also repaint the whole rear end quarter panel. So I though I jumped on the opportunity and have my car dechromed and color coded with the original Pirate Black paint (for the insurance money, hehe). I may be late since my car is in a service for 2 weeks already, but anyway I would like to stop by at the service and ask if it was possible. Since they are gonna be repainting quite a lot I hope they would have some paint left. Also can you tell me how many coats were required on the chromed bits to match the rest of the car? It doesn't have to be perfect 100% match. It can stay just a little tiny bit shinier as the car in the thread below used as inspiration seems to reflect the light a bit more than the rest of the car.

hope you can get in tough with me throughout the weekend since I would like to go to the service on monday latest to have some chance of catching them in time before the painting is done.

I am also considering painting the horizontal plastic lines in the grill, but haven't decided on that yet. I would like to get my grill looking like the one in the first post of this thread

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1525

so I would like to remove the H badge and dechrome the grill border, but keep the original horizontal lines. I have to inspect the state of the plastic lines on the grill if they are not too faded to grey-ish. If they are do you think I should just use some flat black paint on them to restore the black color? I've seen they did that in Wheeler Dealers, hehe. Not really having any mechanical skills. Maybe it would be too much if I painted the plastic lines in pirate black as well since the front could look too uniform. But as I said I haven't decided on that yet, so maybe I will go for the experiment and say them to paint the whole grill (after removing the H).

Archived