Are all Catalystic Converters the same size?

vtec2011

I am looking into getting a de-cat as the cat smells like rotting eggs  :lol: But I also want to add a bit of noise... Problem is the cat is bolted onto the exhaust manifold and I don't know if the dimensions are the same as the cats on the exhaust under the car. 

Mine looks like this... 

674-439-001.jpg

Thanks for looking!  :)

right, the mb3 (1.5) has an eco function, and require's the cat to get hotter quicker, hence why it was mounted on the manifold as a one piece design, where as all the other civic engine's exhaust's have the cat mounted under the car after the manifold

to de cat it from what I remember, to decat it you just swap out the manifold for a normal manifold (standard or stainless manifold) im not sure what effect the removal of the cat would do to the engine management system.

as for fitting a manifold, this could be the tricky part, you may be able to get away with just fitting a new manifold and adjustable de-cat, or it may end up replacing the full system....

Thanks guys! I thought there was a good reason why the cat is located in the engine bay (I bet it cause some heat in their though  :shock: ) It's probably just easier to get a 4-2-1 manifold then. Hopefully the 4-2-1 can connect to the existing center pipe too. Problem is I don't like the idea of swapping the cat/mani back over just for the MOT. Mmm... think I will have to work something out. Fun times haha  :wink:

When I had my mb3 I got a 4-2-1 for the decat and then went to my custom exhaust place and got a De cat pipe for centre section where they usually are. I got a De cat pipe made up to the same size as an ej9 civic one and sourced myself an ej9 cat for mot time. No warning lights came on and car drove like a dream.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help people! :civic5rocks3:

Guess what, a friend of mine gave me a standard D16Z6 manifold which has no CAT. It looks like it can bolt straight onto my MB looking at it roughly (it should fit as majority of d-series parts are all interchangeable) So I ordered a new gasket set which only cost me £7.42 and fingers cross it will fit to the center exhaust pipe! If it doesn't fit, then oh well.... the manifold cost nothing and the gaskets are ready for a 4-2-1 manifold at a later date!

Hopefully it will free up some more horses and more noise in a next few days!  :D

download.jpg