New Wheels, Vibration since

Grant

Not sure if we're in the right section, but I had the tyres taken off the original alloys and changed over to what i thought were dc2 alloys ..

While i quite like the look of them, im still not sold and m considering refurbing the originals and putting them back on, dispite the fact it would leave me down as i had to pay to have the tyres changed over.

A niggle is this, when i had them changed over, drove out the garage, could here a rubbing, look down to inspect and the fronts were rubbing on the caliper carriers .. Odd as these are supposed to be dc2 alloys .. So alot of faffing around i had some 3mm ripspeed spacers brought to me .. Put them on the front, cleared, happy..

Although, the centre bore lip on the hub, now doesnt sit in the centre of the alloy and im wondering whether this is contributing to a slight vibration under heavy, really heavy in 3rd & 4th gear acceleration?? But ok at a constant speed ..

Now i obvioulsy have only owned the car 10 days, and havent driven it loads, but im pretty damn sure that on the way back from london with the standard wheels, the were no vibrations in any gear ..

Anyone ever had anything like this? Or can give me some advice?

Thanking you in advance ...

DC2 wheels always needed a spacer to fit M's I take it they were balanced? Also maybe a buckled alloy? But like u said could be because it not sitting on the hub

I'm not a fan of the 96 spec wheels either, think you need hubcentric spacers if the ones you put on weren't already? Possibly bigger too! On Philgor's for sale ad he had 5mm ones.

• Like 1

I'd wager on it being the wheel not sitting on the hub properly. How bad was the rubbing without spacers? Could you possibly shave the calipers a bit so you have clearance?

Thanks for the quick comments guys ..

I think thats kind of sold it for me if im honest .. I'll refurb the original wheels, probably a white, and then have the tyres put back on those .. Then maybe wait for a later date to get a new set of wheels, or maybe if some come up on here..

Kryzs - No they werent hucentric mate, cheapo ripspeed universals just to get them on!

Roj - Rubbing wasnt that bad actually .. could possibly get away with shaving it off, but dont really want to do that ..

Like i said, minds made up ..

Although, could the originals be ran with hubcentric spacers? That would push them out to fill the arches better .. .

Thanks for the quick comments guys ..

I think thats kind of sold it for me if im honest .. I'll refurb the original wheels, probably a white, and then have the tyres put back on those .. Then maybe wait for a later date to get a new set of wheels, or maybe if some come up on here..

Kryzs - No they werent hucentric mate, cheapo ripspeed universals just to get them on!

Roj - Rubbing wasnt that bad actually .. could possibly get away with shaving it off, but dont really want to do that ..

Like i said, minds made up ..

Although, could the originals be ran with hubcentric spacers? That would push them out to fill the arches better .. .

If you want to put spacers on the originals they'd have to be hubcentric ones too so in theory you could use them for both sets of wheels, least that way you can keep the DC2 wheels on as you are while you refurb the OEM alloys! 

• Like 1