is the EML on mate? Fuel is deffo getting through? If so, sounds like it could be the ignitor in the dizzy is on the way out. That rotar does look pretty worn aswell, so may be worth getting a new one just to try to see if it makes a diff.

Id still wager money on the ignitor though. I think the reason it starts after a while is that it all cools down just enough to allow it to start, then as soon as it gets heated, the ignitor fails. Costly part to replace so might be worth getting a second hand one if the new rotor/plugs dont cure it.

I'm guessing the battery isn't best impressed with it from that.

I would try the dizzy cap and rotor, if it's still bad you may want to look at replacing the whole dizzy. I had a nightmare with it on my last M!

http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/

As a side note, it's worth checking your earths too as the main one corrodes and causes the same problems.

My multimeter is flat so I was unable to check the voltage before I started cranking it.

I would expect a battery in good health to be able to last for more than a few seconds cranking.

Expensive to replace , especially if it isn't the root cause.

I'll need to scrounge a lift to the nearest MPD for a cap and rotor. 

I'm worried this could be it for my M! :(

It can be fixed mate, if you want it to be that is.

Yes, but I'm not in a situation where I can throw money, even if not a huge amounts, at it.

I kept the car because I enjoyed it but I've had 32,000 miles out for the cash paid for it which is well worth my money.

My commute to work is totalling 1,000 miles a month plus any miles I do in my own time and at 29-32MPG this isn't viable anymore.

I'm struggling to get a mortgage deposit together so every penny now counts.