Tyres - advice/experience/recommendations

Grant

Ok so I'm biting the bullet and am returning the originals, I'lleave the colour a secret for now, but should look pretty cool when done.

I then have the decision to make as to what to do with tyres, the tyres that were originally on the car, and now on the dc2 alloys, there is a matching pair upfront, and an odd pair on the back... So I was thinking buying another matching pair so at least they'll match side to side.

They are currently the standard size, 195/55 15's.

My question is this, would it be worth considering buying a full set of 4 with the lower profile? So take it down to 50's ??

Have people run this size of tyre?? And if so, what are the pro's n con's??

Your opinions as always are appreciated :-)

I run 195/50's on my 15's, bonus fact, they're cheaper than 55's. I got a full set of Toyo T1r delivered for £150.

http://camskill.co.uk/ they don't seem to have the toyos at the moment but plenty choice and they're definitely one of the cheapest out there.

• Like 1

I run 195/50's on my 15's, bonus fact, they're cheaper than 55's. I got a full set of Toyo T1r delivered for £150.

http://camskill.co.uk/ they don't seem to have the toyos at the moment but plenty choice and they're definitely one of the cheapest out there.

Yeah I've noticed they're cheaper mate lol.

I've used camskill before now and always been impressed with their prices and service.

Did you notice a change in handling characteristics when going down to the 50's???

Yeah I've noticed they're cheaper mate lol.

I've used camskill before now and always been impressed with their prices and service.

Did you notice a change in handling characteristics when going down to the 50's???

Well no but that's cos' it had 50's on when I bought it. ;)

Quite a few people run 50's afaik and mine seems a little better on the 15's than the 16's.

Item specifics

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused tyre that has never been mounted on a vehicle.
Type: All-Weather External rolling noise (dB; class): 71dB Tyre Width: 195 Load Index: 82 Aspect Ratio: 50 Speed Rating: V: max 149 mph Diameter: 15 Manufacturer: ToYo Tyre fuel efficiency (A-G): G Car Type: Passenger vehicle Wet grip performance (A-G): E

Good price, the stats suggest that they are not so good in wet conditions. so up to you if you want to trust the figures or not...

Item specifics

Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused tyre that has never been mounted on a vehicle.

Type:

All-Weather

External rolling noise (dB; class):

71dB

Tyre Width:

Load Index:

Aspect Ratio:

Speed Rating:

V: max 149 mph

Diameter:

Manufacturer:

ToYo

Tyre fuel efficiency (A-G):

G

Car Type:

Passenger vehicle

Wet grip performance (A-G):

E

Good price, the stats suggest that they are not so good in wet conditions. so up to you if you want to trust the figures or not...

Nicely pointed out mate thank you.

Nick said above he uses these, what would you say about the wet weather performance Nick?

You will have less tyre roll with the 50 series tyres, as said above they are cheaper. Probably slightly less comfort. I took my 17's off and put 15" Speedline Chronos on with Kumho tyres on the front and they are not as grippy in the dry but are awesome in the wet compared to the 17's.

You will have less tyre roll with the 50 series tyres, as said above they are cheaper. Probably slightly less comfort. I took my 17's off and put 15" Speedline Chronos on with Kumho tyres on the front and they are not as grippy in the dry but are awesome in the wet compared to the 17's.

Cheers mate. I'm just weighing it up and can't really see any significant draw backs of going down to 50's