HID info needed??

snakey135

Getting some HID's very soon, got a couple Q's though...

Can the HID bulbs blow like normal bulbs and how do i go about replacing if that happens?

Also alot if people say they're illegal but my MOT guy at work says dont matter what lights it has as long as its got the right aim and pattern?? So what makes these illegal then?

I thought they were legal as long as:

Correct Aim

Correct Pattern

Headlight washers installed

Colour temp not too high.

I may be wrong though...

I think that's pretty much it.

Anything 8000k or below should be fine, 6000k seems to be about right, much higher and they're too blue.

With the headlight washers I think the rule is: if they were fitted from the factory (as MB6/MC2 were) they need to be functioning.

So if my washers are removed.. And i smooth bumper over so theres no holes generally they'll probs be okay then?

Probs go for some 6000k...

What about them blowing... Do HID bulbs blow eventually or what??

I found out they don't work if you drop them!

I think most hid problems occur within the ballast especially in cheap ones.

Not 100% about the lamps tho. Although I'd guess at eventually they will wear out

I pretty sure they are illegal unless the car comes with them standard and had the hid headlamp made for that car, which them M didn't. Headlight is design to throw a beam down but if u buy hids and put it in our lamps it throws the beam all over the place, which is why some people daze on coming drivers with them!

• Like 1

I pretty sure they are illegal unless the car comes with them standard and had the hid headlamp made for that car, which them M didn't. Headlight is design to throw a beam down but if u buy hids and put it in our lamps it throws the beam all over the place, which is why some people daze on coming drivers with them!

Surely buying smooth lenses would solve this though?

Thats fair enough but if i was to fit 6000k hids abd the beam pattern on the headlight aim tester is fine then i pressume they wouldnt be chucking the beam all over? These would be fine then?

Tbh mate I don't know but worst come to worst just put standard bulbs back for mot. Just not 100% if you got pulled and old bill seen the ballest they would do you!