Clutch Issue

skymera

Hi all,

1) I think I have an issue with my clutch.

When pulling away from cold in 1st it sometimes judders. And if I release the pedal a little too far, it can judder quite a lot. It feels like a wheelspin.

I can control it but it feels like i'm riding the clutch..

I did do some searching and it seemed fairly common on Hondas and people stated all sorts such as the "clutch needed to warm up". Any suggestions?

2) The clutch pedal also had a lot of slack. I tightened up the pedal lock nut last night and it needed to be adjusted all the way! This seems a little odd. Could it just need bleeding and fresh fluid?

I'm losing about an inch of pedal travel. 

The car had a new slave cylinder fitted before I bought it. I checked the fluid in the small reservoir and it's brimmed.

This is my first experience with a hydraulic clutch so forgive me if any of this is stupid.

Is it the original clutch? (If you know). What mileage are you on? Could be the flywheel. I've noticed in the past on a few different cars as well as Honda's that if I get the clutch done but not the flywheel then it'll judder.

The car is on 90k

It doesn't seem judder in reverse. Only pulling in first.

If the flywheel was slightly warped I should imagine it'd do it in every gear change.

The clutch biting point seems fairly low and doesn't slip even on VTEC.

It judders the most when cold if I release the clutch too much with little gas.

I had it under control without issue for the past few weeks but adjusted my seat yesterday as I felt too far away and the issue has returned.

It's worth noting that if I lift the clutch slowly with no gas in a car park for example, it doesn't judder.

I think it could just be me being a wimp with the gas pedal. I picked up a bad habit of pulling away with very very little.

If its any consilation, mine does this too mate !

Think its a combination of worn clutch and probably a slightly scortched flywheel.

And as you, it goes once cold. Will only do it for the first couple of starts in 1st

If you can live with it, which is what i do, and its absolutely fine the rest of the time, just wait until you have the spare cash to get a new clutch and your flywheel skimmed.

The car is on 90k

It doesn't seem judder in reverse. Only pulling in first.

If the flywheel was slightly warped I should imagine it'd do it in every gear change.

The clutch biting point seems fairly low and doesn't slip even on VTEC.

It judders the most when cold if I release the clutch too much with little gas.

I had it under control without issue for the past few weeks but adjusted my seat yesterday as I felt too far away and the issue has returned.

It's worth noting that if I lift the clutch slowly with no gas in a car park for example, it doesn't judder.

I think it could just be me being a wimp with the gas pedal. I picked up a bad habit of pulling away with very very little.

If that's the case I wouldn't worry too much, mine does this too if I'm too light on the throttle.

Might still be worth bleeding it though as it only takes 5 mins and you'd be surprised at what comes out.

Okay i'm not worried now!

The clutch is heavy. Well, feels heavy to me.

i'm only 58KG and pressing the clutch actually lifts me out the seat slightly.  :cry:

i'll look into getting the system bled.