Dc2 steering rack Into Mc2

Jayhoath83

I've researched quite a bit about MG ZS rack. It deffinitely is faster. You can see here that it has around 2.5 lock to lock - http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/zs-high-ratio-steering-rack-and-other-r400-zs-bits-t4430.html#p77351

MB6 has 3.28 lock to lock. So it will be noticable.

Now will it fit.. First I asked a very popular car breaker here in Bulgaria that deals only with rover, mg and uk civic's. He said the rack will 99% fit in our car.

Also here's another confirmation that it fits and it appears someone has already done this - http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=484647 (don't mind my dumb posts in the thread :D )

• Like 2

Thats interesting as i was always lead to believe they handle better on on 15s i use a 50 profile which made a diference are urs a 40 profile? Plus i cant c how to get ridd of the slack in the steering i know bushes help but only so much ive got nothing left to replace other than the rack n colum even my 35yr mg feels more precise mabe im expecting too much

I'm running 15s at the mo coz I've still got my winter tyres on :shock: but i normally have 17s. The 15s do feel quicker to accelerate, but feel a bit more flighty, and i like the feeling of grip that the 17s give... Harder to turn the wheel, but nice.

I think that all things being equal, 16s would be the best compromise.

• Like 2

To sharpen the steering feel you need to stiffen the chassis. This can be done with braces ie a better strut brace up top. Bushes will help too and so would stiffer suspension. The standard brace is good however one item I've got on my list is a 3 point brace as this links the two strut tower tops and the firewall. this reduces flex between the towers moving in and out and back and forth with the firewall. Hope this helps

• Like 1

X2 to what @Aerodeckcivic has said ..

The rack i doubt would make an awful lot of difference to steering feel .. Unless you have excessive "deadground" whcih could be a worn pinion.

Stiffer sus, bracing and tyres will all make a difference to feel ..

A 3 point brace might help a bit more tiz true n i no my chassis has flex to within reason n yes some coilies will defo help the handling but what im after is all of that and a steering response that is urgent as at the moment it feels wooly even though its in good shape.

so if i put all the advice together it comes down to

mgzs steering rack

17" alloys

low profile tyres

A comprehensive set of strut braces

decent coilovers

and a camber kit front n rear

then the car should corner with the best of them i guess i no what im spending money on this year if nothing else breaks lol

To be fair mine handled really well with the MGZS ARB, decent coilovers and decent tyres, will be even better when I've finished with the handling side of things! 

A 3 point brace might help a bit more tiz true n i no my chassis has flex to within reason n yes some coilies will defo help the handling but what im after is all of that and a steering response that is urgent as at the moment it feels wooly even though its in good shape.

so if i put all the advice together it comes down to

mgzs steering rack

17" alloys

low profile tyres

A comprehensive set of strut braces

decent coilovers

and a camber kit front n rear

then the car should corner with the best of them i guess i no what im spending money on this year if nothing else breaks lol

I'd probably add polybushing to that list and I'm not sure about the front camber adjusters, they do damage. :(

I'd probably add polybushing to that list and I'm not sure about the front camber adjusters, they do damage. :(

I think that's only if you're really low!

I think that's only if you're really low!

Possibly right but if you're not going that low camber adjusters shouldn't be necessary unless I suppose for optimum geometry setup.

Possibly right but if you're not going that low camber adjusters shouldn't be necessary unless I suppose for optimum geometry setup.

There's a few factors to take into account really, how low, how far out of alignment is it and what you want to use the car for.