intermittent starting problem

Crazy_Mark

so in the last few days its happened that when I start the car, it just cuts out straight away.Then if I start it again and rev it a bit its fine.

It was happening if the car was still warmed up i.e. only off for a few minutes. It happened twice today, and one of those times the car was cold, so I can only assume its getting worse.

What do I need to check to fix this?

is it happening as soon as you let go of the key? it might be the ignition barrel, mines like that and I've heard it happen to a few other folk, try starting it and then letting the key back really slowly rather than just letting go of it, mine was intermittent initially and got worse untill i couldn't start it at all, it was then i figured out the trick with the key.

is it happening as soon as you let go of the key? it might be the ignition barrel, mines like that and I've heard it happen to a few other folk, try starting it and then letting the key back really slowly rather than just letting go of it, mine was intermittent initially and got worse untill i couldn't start it at all, it was then i figured out the trick with the key.

I had the same thought.

Thats why i tell my miss's off for having shed loads of keys n keyrings with the car keys as it kills the barrel eventually but as nick said give ur dizzy a look first, as the cap n rotor are a service item n can go n cause this issue plus thats cheaper than a new ignition set

Thats why i tell my miss's off for having shed loads of keys n keyrings with the car keys as it kills the barrel eventually but as nick said give ur dizzy a look first, as the cap n rotor are a service item n can go n cause this issue plus thats cheaper than a new ignition set

Plus it's frigging annoying to carry in the pocket or have them touch your leg while driving! Just the key a remote fob on the ring for the car! 

Thanks! This seems to be exactly whats going wrong! no problems at all today starting it and letting the key back gently.

I had the distributor cap off but it looks quite new I reckon it was changed before I bought it