Gearbox Running Hot!

Butcher

Having owned the car for 3 years this is the first time I've noticed this, so don't know how normal it is, but I definitely had my paranoid head on today. 

Driving along, I notice my hand, resting on the gear stick, is warm. Aircon is on (Yay! See other topic) so the interior is cool. I'm puzzled by where the warmth is coming from. Further inspection reveals that it's coming from below. The pleather surrounding the gear stick is really warm! So I assume the heat is rising from the gearbox. It's definitely rising, anyway.

Thing to note: this is during a trip to the lake district. Doing a lot of climbing. A lot of descending. 2nd gear climbs. 1st gear climbs (Hardnott!!!) Gearbox ran warm the whole time. 

Exited the Lakes. Had 30 minutes break or whatever. Gearbox runs cold all the way home, including up the motorway, for over 100 miles near continuous driving.

Second thing to note: a couple of times recently I have noticed a burning smell. Not even entirely sure where it has come from. Mainly on big descents (could be the brakes). Noticed a clutch smell upon getting out of the car after climbing Kirkstone pass today, but could even have been someone else's car and the clutch does not appear to be slipping - it has been tested well today!

Should I be worried?

And should I change the oil??

Car has 125k on it. Full Honda service history up to 80k.

Edit: Gearbox itself is running fine by the way. Except for one crunch the other day when I shifted up from the red line!

Edit 2: Also realising it could be heat from exhaust? (the heat shield fell off 6 months after I got it fitted!) It was a warm day too, so not much cooling happening. Trip home was evening, so much cooler. Engine water temp was consistent throughout. 

Heat is prob from engine cat exhaust etc. plus sun through the windscreen heats my gear knob up to the point it's hard to touch . If everything is normal why bother trying to cause a problem which ain't there. Oil change can only do it good if it ain't been done for awhile then yes change it

I've noticed the heat so take it as normal, probably worth changing the gearbox oil, can't hurt anyway! Sounds like the car has had a good workout!

Yeah, I just got completely paranoid because it's not something I've ever noticed before. Might check to see if the gearbox oil has ever been done though. No harm in doing it. 

• 2 weeks later...