Meister R Setup? (spring rate etc)

burbleboy

I have only ever adjusted the ride height on my Meisters, as on my previous Honda Accord, I fecked up the handling meddling with stuff I don't know about!

The problem, if you like, is I have my perfect ride height (low but doesn't scrape) but when I soften the shockers, the car bottoms out on the front top arms (I think) under dips and when I stiffen the shockers up, they bang over bad bumps. I'm trying to find a happy medium but haven't a clue how to maximise the adjustment capabilities of the Meisters.

Would I then adjust the nuts directly under the spring to improve things?

Basically, what happens to the handling when I start turning the nuts under the spring?!

I know a bit about cars, but suspension setups? Nadda :(

You can adjust the preload and the height, top lock ring is for preload only, Meister set this to about 10mm of preload when they assemble them. Reducing the preload softens the ride and allows a bit more roll. Best way I found to measure the preload is to undo the top ring until the spring just rests on it but has no play when you try to move it by hand up or down. Then move the other lock ring to sit with the top on but not tight. Then add preload until the gap between the two top rings is whatever you want, 5mm, 10mm etc. My happy medium was 5mm gap. Once you've set it then do the second ring tight with the top ring.

Hope this makes sense and I hope it's helpful!

• Like 1

You can adjust the preload and the height, top lock ring is for preload only, Meister set this to about 10mm of preload when they assemble them. Reducing the preload softens the ride and allows a bit more roll. Best way I found to measure the preload is to undo the top ring until the spring just rests on it but has no play when you try to move it by hand up or down. Then move the other lock ring to sit with the top on but not tight. Then add preload until the gap between the two top rings is whatever you want, 5mm, 10mm etc. My happy medium was 5mm gap. Once you've set it then do the second ring tight with the top ring.

Hope this makes sense and I hope it's helpful!

Erm, you lost me slightly!

I think i'm wanting to stiffen the springs up a bit to stop the car bottoming out so I can then set the shockers to a happy medium setting.

So, would I be best to loosen both nuts (directly under the spring) and then tighten the top nut towards the spring to gain stiffness? 

I think when my shockers are softer, the spring seems too soft and causes the top arm to be hit. I can only guess that's the banging I hear sometimes!

I hope this made sense to you! lol lol

If you actually go onto meister site they actually show you how to set them up :) also Google is a wonderful thing!

I wanted to get a first hand experience from someone that had messed about with MB6 springloads etc :)