Grinding noise when braking

h4mza

Question

I had my civic off road 4 months and when I took it out the other day I noticed grinding/spinning/rumbling noise when braking gently. My brakes seem to come on late as well, the brake pedal requires pushing right down for the car to stop and my front brake discs are rusty. I checked on internet and it says I need new brake pads and discs to solve the problem. Just wanted to double confirm if this is what I need to fix the problem? Also what brand should I go for, don't want something too expensive as I'm planning on selling the car shortly afterwards. It's for civic MB3 1.5

How far have you driven it so far? It might be the layer of corrosion just needs to wear away by using the brakes or if the discs have pitted you'll want to replace them.

As for brand, doesn't matter really, pagid, blueprint or whatever the local motor factors sell will do the job.

Garage said drive it for a while but I've done 400 miles since and it hasn't gotten any better. Thing is I had the car parked up and took all mods off, coilovers, wheels, exhaust etc and put everything back standard and that's when I started to notice this issue.

Sounds like a stone stuck between the disc and the crud gard i had it all ya have to do is figure out the which one n jack the car up n spin the wheel backwards till it comes out if not then its the discs n pads

• Like 2

Could be some grit, but it's usually the pads down to the metal in my experience. As said already, rust often appears on the surface of the discs if the car's been standing for a little while, especially with the wet weather we've been having, and will usually clear up when well used again, unless it's really bad.

Parts are dirt cheap. You could do all four pads and discs for under £100 DIY. But it can be a pain of a job if you come across any stubborn to remove parts (which is likely, in my experience).

If you do do the discs DIY, take note that the Hondas have a retaining screw to hold them in place, which is made of cheese. There are various techniques to remove it (Impact driver for example), but after several hours of trying them all I just drilled mine out. Took 5 minutes.   

Ok so been busy lately and only just had time yesterday to have a look at the car but not much luck finding out what's my problem. I jacked the car up and spun the wheel backwards and heard no noises. Wheel wouldn't spin freely either, not sure if that's normal. I then removed the wheel hoping a stone should pop out but nope it didn't. I didn't know what else to check for really so just took some pictures of the discs condition.

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4439.jpg