B16a2 running issues

marv

hi guys looking for some advice. Recently bought a ej8 with a b16a2 conversion done. Car started and drove fine on the test drive etc. It was then parked up for a few weeks whilst I sorted some bits out around the car. Had to jump start it to get started for taking it down the work shop to build the exhaust. It was running a bit rough and eventually cut out and would just cough and backfire when I tried to start it. With some help over the phone from @robthedoc i checked the timing was ok (which it was) but noticed the plugs had a massive gap and looked old. Closed the gap and the car started, but sounds like it's not running on all cylinders.

Tonight I changed the oil and filter and fitted some ngk plugs. The car now won't start. The codes on the plugs are slightly different, the old ones are ngk.....5.. And the new ones ngk....6.. ( can't mind the actual code) could it be that iv been supplied the wrong plugs? Really need to get this running for the weekend as my other coupe has sold.

There wasn't a fuel filter in the engine bay. It was just piped from the fitting to the banjo, but iv since fitted the correct filter and bracket. Could it be bad fuel too?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I think the number is something to do with the heat range, I think b16bs are meant to have 7s so these 6's should be ok? Plug gaps were fine.

Don't know why the filter wasn't fitted mate, Cowboys! Could a clogged fuel filter cause this?

Wee update. Rob (Honda man)came round to have a look at the car. Started it with the old plugs in and it ran fine, just a slight misfire! Tried some good plugs in that he had and it started and idled great. Just went back to it a couple hours later and straight away it was running rough on idle. Managed to drive it down the road and managed to get vtec with no eml but still coughing and spluttering. There wasn't a fuel filter fitted when I bought the car, iv since fitted one but could it be bad fuel? The guy had ran the tank really low and with no filter

Going to try a different dizzy on it tomorrow and see if that helps.

Yeah I'm wanting to get in filled with some v power and an additive. Just want to make sure il make it lol we noticed that it's missing a few earth wires so I'm going to make some with up at work tomorrow too.

Heat range 6 is about right I'd say.

Sounds like your on the right track get good earth to the engine and a good service. And some fresh fuel. See how it goes. Previous owner maybe not cared for it very well. Running without a filter weird.