New addition - Rescued PB Vti aerodeck

dave79

So after selling my impreza :( I've been on the lookout for another civic. An aerodeck vti was top of the list after having had several eg's previously. So this one came up on Tuesday. Pirates Black, 177k miles but an honest car. Clean mot and no major issues. She needs some love to sort out some small issues - scrape on the ns wing and rear door/arch. A bit of rust on the arch as a result of the scrape but the rest looks sound. No rust on the drivers arch that I can see. Needs front suspension bushes and possibly fresh engine mounts but the engine and box are sweet. No smoke at all, no tappet noise etc. Not bad for 800 notes! 230 mile round trip though but worth saving her from being broken. This will be a gradual project to restore and add some subtle improvements along the way. 

Pics will be added later as she stands now.

• Like 4

Here are a few pics as she stands. Not had time to wash or do much. Took the spare wheel out and the boot floor was wet so spent some time drying it up and cleaning what I could out followed by a liberal dose of ACF50 spray. The engine is a bit oily so needs a clean up to see where it's coming from. It also has some comedy air horns, but they don't work any better than a normal horn. Battery missing both tie down bolts and the air filter is a bit s**tty. Plenty to do and keep me out of trouble... It can only get better ;)

20161218_121034.jpg

20161218_123925.jpg

20161218_125054.jpg

20161218_135401.jpg

20161218_135526.jpg

20161218_135538.jpg

• Like 1

She looks a good UN for that kinda money mate! The girls got potential! As Simon says, water in boot poss coming in the rear windows. The bonding starts to break down on them through time allowing water in (same thing happens to front screen). Easy enough to sort though. Nice wee project you've got there.

• Like 1

@Dave and @dr_broon Thanks guys I'll have a look soon. Are the side windows bonded in like the front screens are? If so then I'm assuming it's a sealant job to avoid removing and or breaking the glass?

Yes defo potential for improvement. I also found a bit of rust at the boot hinge where the roof panel is bonded to the shell. Have cleaned it up a bit and filled with acf50 as well in the hope it doesn't spread further. When it's dry I'll look at sealing it properly.

2 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

Oh my, i can feel the heat soak from that non standard air filter from here!

Ha ha yes. Bodged up with a zip tie as well... Am thinking about a standard or teg air box for it with free flow filter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Plus 1 for teg filter :)

Yes I'll keep an eye out for one. Priority at the moment is to sort out the front suspension bushes and find out where the engine oil leak is coming from. Looks like a combination of vtec solenoid area, dizzy seal and maybe the rocker cover.

It's going to be a slowish project but I hope to enjoy the improvements.

• Like 1