Idiot warning help needed MB3 Deck

frunkster

Question

Hi All

So did the unthinkable today & came back to a dead car, the as I like to call it idiot switch is not working on my MB3 Deck, you know the sound that goes off when you open the door with the lights still on.

I presume it's a relay somwhere as fuses are fine, but have now asked my honda guy & also the guy I get my honda parts from & also my local garage & none of them know & none have ever heard to one having this problem before, I'm not very mechanically minded myself TBH, I do what I can but I'm far from a natural, so was hoping someone here may know what I am looking for to rectify this issue ??

Turned a nice day in to a right mare it did, stranded at the a*s end of nowhere for a while, knew it was coming at some point though, procratination & all that, so time I get this sorted before I do the b****r again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

7 answers to this question

Just checked the trusty Haynes manual, and the buzzer and the circuit is part of the 'integrated control unit' that also deals with wash / wipe, and low /high beam functions. From the diagram it looks like the input comes from the driver door interior light switch.

If the interior light comes on when you open the driver door, then it's either a problem with the wiring or the control unit. 

Thanks for your help as ever Broon =)

Yes the interior light comes on when the door is opened just not the buzzer, this sure take me a step closer to tracking the fault & I really appreciate the images you sent over for me.

On a side note - been looking for a Haynes manual for years for these & never seen one, I had thought they never actually issued one for these, but I will now keep hunting, thanks so much ;)

Deffo get yourself a Haynes manual, although be aware these aint like the manuals of old. They're made from recycled (and very thin) paper now so very easy to tear the page just turning it over.

If you can't trace the fault with the lights on buzzer, you can retro fit one very easily mate. I've fitted one to my mk1 MX5 for the same reason that the lights can be left on by mistake. Think it only cost a fiver or something. Will try and find the link for you. With the wiring diagram for the civic m that's in the Haynes book, should be a doddle to fit.;)

• Like 1

You guys rock! thanks so much, I try my best but I know my limitations, sadly mechanics & electrics fall far from the areas I excell in, now I know what to look for I've picked up a copy of the Haynes manual thanks, noted they are not what they used to be, but then nothings made like it used to be thats why we're all driving 90's Hondas init guys =)

Need to get it fixed, been running it 3 years like this & never forgot, then did it again today so twice in a week, what are the odds, then had a break pipe sprink a leak tonight, I hate these days! will get the brake pipe sorted tomorrow & see if I can't get this light buzzer under wraps asap, then just one rear arch to get some welding done & she should be back to speed. 

• Like 2

All be worth once it shes fixed mate, superb wee cars these. Think honda made some of their best cars during the 90's  ours included. I've had 2 of the later civics (2011 TypeS and 2008 TypeR) and although loved them both, they're a pig to work on! Now just got the aerodeck so most things are an easy fix