The Red Fastback - MA8 Project Thread

SirPaperbag

On 4/21/2024 at 11:35 AM, Kaleverada said:

Looks sweet that man! 

Some of the vibration you mentioned could be from the stiffer or solid bushes you’ve fitted, quite a lot of gearbox vibration gets transmitted through those. Either that or whilst in gear the shifter actually sits on top of the the exhaust, I know when I had mine adjusted to as low as it went, so the shortest possible throw, it’s would knock into the exhaust. Have a completely different setup now but the Hybrid Racing one does looks good man! Well done 

Wanted to give a small update on that particular issue. If albeit a late one.

Just in case someone else reads through this thread at some point and encounters the same issue with any other kind of short shifter.

As it turned out, the vibrations came from the uniball joint of the shifter itself, just as I suspected. By design, uniball joints always have a little bit of play in them and that created the rattle noise.

But the harder bushings definitely were a major factor here, as well.

I dribbled a bit of chain/machine oil into the base and after two or three applications the rattling completely stopped! :D

You know, the kind that's very thin and oily at the start but quickly gets more sticky and viscous as it reacts with the air?

That stuff also makes great chain lube for motorcycles, btw. ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SirPaperbag said:

Wanted to give a small update on that particular issue. If albeit a late one.

Just in case someone else reads through this thread at some point and encounters the same issue with any other kind of short shifter.

As it turned out, the vibrations came from the uniball joint of the shifter itself, just as I suspected. By design, uniball joints always have a little bit of play in them and that created the rattle noise.

But the harder bushings definitely were a major factor here, as well.

I dribbled a bit of chain/machine oil into the base and after two or three applications the rattling completely stopped! :D

You know, the kind that's very thin and oily at the start but quickly gets more sticky and viscous as it reacts with the air?

That stuff also makes great chain lube for motorcycles, btw. ;)

Might have to give that a try myself... Mine vibrates at motorway speed, and I've got stiff bushings too 

• Like 1