Engine Pinking- Update , chuffed adjusted timing myself !

stoatman

Hi all,

I am currently having a little problem with my Aerodeck , when giving the car some stick or accelerating sharply up a hill the engine gives the distinctive metallic chattering noise. Not so bad as knocking but still very annoying and not good long term.

Has anyone else experienced pinking and what to do about it, I usually run on sainsburys super unleadead or normal unleaded . I have spoken to my mechanic and he can try to retard the timing a little to see if that stops it . I am going to try some optimax or perhaps tesco momentum (99 octane).

I do not like it when my car is not at 100 % , i hate any noise which is not supposed to be there !.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just retard the timing ever so slightly to see if it improves mate.

Mark up the Dizzy to where it is now, then retard timing by rotating it toward the front of the car by as small an increment as possible! 1mm at a time usually, then see if it goes away....

Cool cheers, I will try this weekend . I hate it when things aren't right it really puts me off spending any more money on it to modify/improve things or to spruce it up refurbishing things.

Fingers crossed.

tesco 99 they say is the best oct rate keep meaning to try it went 2 days ago : (

labouring the engine main prob for me !!! ie chatter from engine

Hi all,

I am currently having a little problem with my Aerodeck , when giving the car some stick or accelerating sharply up a hill the engine gives the distinctive metallic chattering noise. Not so bad as knocking but still very annoying and not good long term.

Has anyone else experienced pinking and what to do about it, I usually run on sainsburys super unleadead or normal unleaded . I have spoken to my mechanic and he can try to retard the timing a little to see if that stops it . I am going to try some optimax or perhaps tesco momentum (99 octane).

I do not like it when my car is not at 100 % , i hate any noise which is not supposed to be there !.

iv got the same chatter mate sound like a bolt in the cat ? only thing is i havnt got a cat :roll:

mines been like that for a while now and still cant find the problem :?:

I have tried some V-Power but only added 25 quids worth to 10 quid of remaining sainsbury's super. So far the pinking has reduced - after about 50 miles -. I will run it down and then fill up just with V-power and hopefully it will dissapear. I'll report back soon

i did my valve clearances on sunday morning...had the similar problem before...4th gear heavy foot on accelerator and odd twanging until RPM increased??? like you described pinking...non existent now...measured tappets before adjusting and allmost everyone was .009 :o..now set to .007 and .008..non-existant now just a bad backache.

i did my valve clearances on sunday morning...had the similar problem before...4th gear heavy foot on accelerator and odd twanging until RPM increased??? like you described pinking...non existent now...measured tappets before adjusting and allmost everyone was .009 :o..now set to .007 and .008..non-existant now just a bad backache.

Did you need any special tools to do it?

Archived