Engine Pinking- Update , chuffed adjusted timing myself !

stoatman

I do have a timing gun. Just couldn't see the Mark in the light. Found it on the pulley. But couldn't see it with engine running. Any ideas how? I tried chalking it too. Still coulnt see

wot gun you got mate ?

any pics !

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a real old thing. Flashes an orange light if I remember correctly. Il have to try it again. Must admit engine seems to run ok though. Or am I damaging it not having it set right?

Dynoed on supermarket 97. It sounds a bit tappety to me in the cabin when you boot it. To be honest its always been like that. Never really worried about it. Will Defo check this timing though. Valve clearances are perfect. That was what I first suspected caused the noise.

make sure when you set the timming light/gun up that the current in the ht lead is flowing the same way as the arrow on the

inductive pick up ?

if its got the inductive pick up it should only go one way (check for arrow) . if not then you wont get a propper reading !

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel a bit awkward for posting so much in here but...still havent found the solution to the problem which got worse now (it has to be temperature related as I can tell its much more audible now than it was a few weeks back).

Its not valve clearances

Its not ignition timing

RON 100 didnt help

Its not the heatshields

:cry:

i recently bought a complete new distributor ( full new internals ) this made the car so much more responsive. best £160 ever spent. as its the main ignition source ;)

Archived