MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Quick update, SHE'S ALIVE!!!

2011-08-14%25252011.25.49.jpg

2011-08-14%25252011.26.04.jpg

Front lip sprayed and fitted, VTEC decal put back on and everything set as I want it on the outside.

Rust has been taken care of...

2011-08-14%25252011.26.22.jpg

:D:D

And I finally got around to swapping out the torque mounts. Old one "fell off" as soon as I undid the bolts

2011-07-30%25252011.10.38.jpg

Move onto the engine properly in the next few months. Had some money left over from the last lot of work so treated myself to a new manifold. Not planning on fitting this just yet, job for next month 8-)

2011-08-12%25252011.10.20.jpg

TODA ?style nice? USA ?had my on one also.nice compramise,mid/top :0)

thought your mounts would be as pic !!as most are.energy insert will stop reaffending :0)

Looks like the Toda, but it's Tegiwa. Really impressed with the quality, and it's about 1/3rd of the price. Hopefully it will do the job. Before I fit it I need to heat wrap it and get new manifold gaskets & studs.

Torque mounts were replaced with DC2 driver side ones each side, Energy Suspension mounts in each. I had to make up a spacer on the passenger side to get it all to fit, but it only took an hour start to finish. Happy with the result :)

just read your thread mate.....WOW what a project!!

I have a Titan Silver MC2 too, and you have done pretty much everything i want to do too mine!!

the rear lca`s you used are for an EG civic? so they fit straight in then? also the energy suspension kit did you specify for an MC2?

I use AVO on our K20`d EG, and can vouch for how good they are...top blokes and top company. we use their remote reservoir dampers, and after a few initial teething probs (it was the first set they done for Civic`s) they are magic now.

How much did you pay for them? (sorry to nosey!)

i will defo keep an eye on this, keep up the great work!

Dom

just read your thread mate.....WOW what a project!!

I have a Titan Silver MC2 too, and you have done pretty much everything i want to do too mine!!

the rear lca`s you used are for an EG civic? so they fit straight in then? also the energy suspension kit did you specify for an MC2?

I use AVO on our K20`d EG, and can vouch for how good they are...top blokes and top company. we use their remote reservoir dampers, and after a few initial teething probs (it was the first set they done for Civic`s) they are magic now.

How much did you pay for them? (sorry to nosey!)

i will defo keep an eye on this, keep up the great work!

Dom

Cheers Dom,

Rear LCA's are EG Civic, but if you want to use stock shocks then no they are not a direct fit. The bushing where the shock fork meets the wishbone is 50mm wide, stock MC/MB shock fork is only 40mm. I was going to leave my shocks standard until next year so Hond-R removed the bushes for me and had the LCA machined by 4mm each side and the bush trimmed to suit. It wasn't until I noticed 3 of the 4 shocks were leaking that i decided to replace all 4 for the AVOs. Luckily for me, AVO do a 42mm and a 50mm fork fitment :D

110% agree with you, they have been awesome to work with, very helpful on the phone in choosing the springs and answering my questions on install/setup. The units are heavy comapred to Tein or BC Racing but they are super solid.

Kit was £550 shipped plus the dreaded but I was happy with that. Only done about 60miles since I got the car back on the ground but they are really good, AVO listened to my requirements and I got what I wanted 8-)

ware the mounts hard to do, i hear people saying its a tough job the torque mount

and why dc2 ???

ha ha ha ha so many questions, why bother :? ? :shock::lol:

Torque mounts were okay to do. I had to drop the engine slightly to get the new ones on (if there is another trick I couldn't see it), but that was easy. Jack up the car and put it on stands, from there:

1. removed ns wheel

2. remove wheel arch liner and under tray (I was a little lazy and just pulled them back out of the way)

3. Support the engine (I used a jack and some wood under the sump)

4. undo all the ns torque mount bolts and nut from the end (2x 15mm bolts and 1x 19mm nut)

4. remove the ns engine mount bolt & 2 nuts

5. drop the engine about 20mm (if that)

6. pull off the torque mount - if it won't come off, undo the whole center bolt and seperate off the car.

7. Haynes classic - refit is reverse of removal :lol:

I was told the DC2 ones were stronger and that the gearbox side ones fitted both sides. They don't directly, mine did ONLY AFTER I made up a spacer to go between the torque mount and the bolt onto the block. I think it was about 8mm.

Why bother what? changing the mount or doing the car?

now for the rear mount replacment energy insert- how tooz plzzz :lol:

still got mine in the bag :oops:

looks a cont of a jobby :roll:

well well didnt know teg/crx ect had different types :roll: as you found out a wee spacer ect job done!!

will the energy ones fit the moded one then?again may need to mod :?

or just get the dc2 ones then :idea::lol:

or just fill them with tiger seal :idea: got a tube infront of me :twisted: was gonna do all my bushes

now for the rear mount replacment energy insert- how tooz plzzz :lol:

still got mine in the bag :oops:

looks a cont of a jobby :roll:

well well didnt know teg/crx ect had different types :roll: as you found out a wee spacer ect job done!!

will the energy ones fit the moded one then?again may need to mod :?

or just get the dc2 ones then :idea::lol:

or just fill them with tiger seal :idea: got a tube infront of me :twisted: was gonna do all my bushes

Yeah, the rear one looks like a bit of a challenge but I will do it this weekend. Instructions that came with the kit are pretty useless :lol: I think the trick will be taking the weight off the mount, so either a jack under the sump or an engine support across the suspension turrets. I will have a go at the steering rack and shifter bushes at the same time.

Looking at the Honda parts system it looks like the MC2 standard mounts are already re-enforced so maybe I didn't need to go to all the trouble of fitting the DC2 gearbox mount, but it's done now so I won't be swapping it out. The inserts are different for each side of the car, but the gearbox side kit went straight in with no mods to the DC2 mount.

Fitting all the other bushes to the arms was just took a sharp drill bit to drill out the old rubber, a hacksaw blade to split the old shell (although I used an air grinder for speed :D ). Used a punch & hammer to knock the old shell out once it was split, and a decent vice to push then new ones in. You don't have to go all the way through the shell (and risk damaging the arm itself, just weaken the shell). Each arm took about an hour in total. For the rear arm mounts (cast bracket) I just cut the ends off the rubber mount with a hack saw blade and used 2 old sockets in the vice as a sort of press. One large socket to push against the bracket, another smaller socket at the other end to push against the inner metal tube. Put it in the vice and tighten, just pushes out. Wish I'd taken a photo now :x