Project Dimitri - Honda Civic - 05/04/12 BIG UPDATE

harVTEC

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So, time to update. Warning, it's a big one :)

Got the car all loaded up with all my gear to go to my Grandparent's house and get started :)

DSCF5481.jpg

DSCF5482.jpg

The joys of having a big car ey ;)

Once I got there I started by taking off any bits that would be in the way when removing the engine, disconnecting hoses etc.

DSCF5484.jpg

DSCF5485.jpg

Then took the radiator out, and got cracking on removing the driveshafts:

DSCF5486.jpg

DSCF5487.jpg

DSCF5491.jpg

DSCF5492.jpg

DSCF5494.jpg

DSCF5497.jpg

I recently had a CV boot done and christ knows what torque the hub to driveshaft nut was done up to! Check out my lever bar:

DSCF5498.jpg

More general disconnecting . removal of parts:

DSCF5499.jpg

DSCF5503.jpg

DSCF5502.jpg

The gear linkage pin was a b*****d! Did not want to come out, took almost a day, including many broken punches, screwdrivers and a lot of sore knuckles!

DSCF5506.jpg

Engine was finally ready to come out, was surprised to find I had disconnected everything! Was expecting something to be left attached:

DSCF5509.jpg

DSCF5510.jpg

DSCF5511.jpg

Then I caught my finger in the b*****d jack and was left with this:

DSCF5512.jpg

DSCF5515.jpg

Oil filter removal tool:

DSCF5521.jpg

After that there was plenty of photos of hoses, wires and what not. Mainly for when it all went back together. This along with sandwich bagging and labelling everything was a good decision :) Next I started the strip the engine down so I could get the head skimmed the next day.

Inlet manifold off:

DSCF5525.jpg

Rocker cover and valve lifters off:

DSCF5529.jpg

DSCF5530.jpg

Camshaft out:

DSCF5531.jpg

Up early the next morning to get the cylinder head off:

DSCF5534.jpg

DSCF5536.jpg

Valves out:

DSCF5537.jpg

DSCF5538.jpg

Head was then sent off for skimming, leaving me to get the gearbox off and replace the clutch:

DSCF5539.jpg

DSCF5540.jpg

Diagnoses - it's f**ked:

DSCF5544.jpg

DSCF5546.jpg

DSCF5549.jpg

DSCF5552.jpg

Nice bit of new vs. old:

DSCF5556.jpg

DSCF5557.jpg

DSCF5558.jpg

DSCF5559.jpg

DSCF5560.jpg

Cleaned the gearbox up, think most of the clutch dust ended up in my lungs but meh. Sanded the block and box down as I planned on painting it, it looked much better after sanding all the crap / corrosion off of it and I discovered how s**t I was with a paint brush so I decided to leave it sanded:

DSCF5561.jpg

DSCF5570.jpg

DSCF5579.jpg

Fitted the new clutch as I was still waiting on the head, got the gearbox back on as well:

DSCF5567.jpg

DSCF5568.jpg

DSCF5569.jpg

Next up was giving the inlet mani and EGR valve a good clean up.

Before:

DSCF5580.jpg

After:

DSCF5631.jpg

DSCF5632.jpg

By then I had the head back so set about grinding in the valves, to be fair they weren't too bad but thought I may as well do them all properly while it's in pieces. Obviously your usual pitting on the valve seats and valves. The weather then took a turn for the worse so I ended up spending a good day on these, using a blob of course compound, then checked it out to see how much had been removed, then another go with course then a couple of rounds with the fine. Did it all by hand, I know some people stick a drill on the valve stem and power through them that way, but I didn't fancy that.

DSCF5584.jpg

One done, one not:

DSCF5585.jpg

DSCF5586.jpg

DSCF5589.jpg

DSCF5590.jpg

Just some general pictures of grinding in the valves:

DSCF5595.jpg

DSCF5596.jpg

DSCF5600.jpg

DSCF5601.jpg

DSCF5602.jpg

DSCF5610.jpg

All done and cleaned up, next was fitting my new valve stem oil seals and the valves:

DSCF5622.jpg

DSCF5623.jpg

DSCF5624.jpg

DSCF5627.jpg

DSCF5629.jpg

DSCF5630.jpg

Fitted the new headgasket and head, all bolts torqued up correctly blah blah blah. Then the camshaft and valve lifters refitted:

DSCF5634.jpg

DSCF5635.jpg

DSCF5636.jpg

DSCF5642.jpg

DSCF5643.jpg

Fitted my new waterpump, timing belt and tensioner and timed up the engine:

DSCF5645.jpg

DSCF5646.jpg

Started putting everything back on:

DSCF5647.jpg

DSCF5649.jpg

DSCF5651.jpg

DSCF5653.jpg

DSCF5654.jpg

DSCF5660.jpg

DSCF5664.jpg

DSCF5665.jpg

Gave the bay a bit of a clean up while my Grandma cleaned my air filter and timing belt cover :)

DSCF5662.jpg

DSCF5661.jpg

DSCF5671.jpg

DSCF5675.jpg

DSCF5680.jpg

DSCF5667.jpg

DSCF5681.jpg

So after all that it was a case of getting the engine back in, plumbed, refit everything, gearbox and engine oil and what not. Bled the clutch and so on, then the dreaded turning of the key :/ IT STARTED, first time and idled perfectly. The only thing I did wrong in the entire thing was put the hose that connects from the inlet mani to the brake servo. So on my test drive I had no braking assistance! Once I realised I turned the hose round and all was well!

Just need to do my valve clearances again as a couple of inlet valves are a little tight and find out why I my EML light is on, I think it's the O2 sensor on the exhaust, the wires look ruined.

Bare in mind I have never done anything this big, I've done the usual mechanics, replacing parts and what not but this was my first complete engine overhaul. I've now covered 500 miles so I'm going to check everything over, tighten anything that's come loose and just generally give it a good inspection. So far there's been no clutch slip, no overheating and it feels like a different car :) Not bad seeing as I only had my Grandad help me get the engine out and drive me round haha :)

Cheers for reading.

harVTEC

:o

Not doing by half there!!

Is that a Chesel Speedster or the real thing in the garage? :o

Nah wanted to do it right, not something I fancy doing again any time soon!

That's my Grandparent's Chesil, real enough to drive tho :)

Cheers.

harVTEC