Non start / Cut out

MBK89

Took a video today but didnt save, will try again tomoro...

What steps can i take towards fuel diagnosis without spending out on parts, anything i can check etc?

Cheers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a wild a$$ guess but id bet its the dizzy... that croakey sound is just the engine coming to a stop under no load conditions ie no spark...

when theres fuel ignition n combustion all sings along well but the croak sound tells me theres no spark to ignite the petrol hence the pistons are literally pushing/sucking air. that is basically the induction noise you get escaping through the inlet valves then resonating echoing in the inlet manifold and back through the panel filter.

i would certainly recommend changing the whole dizzy for a working one. i spent a full day swoping the coil, ignitor backwards n forwards. then i bought a new dizzy. started 1st time.

remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the timing belt protective plastic cover. the cam cover does overlap the plastic but with a bit of persuation it will come out. double check the arrows on cam pulleys and TDC mark on bottom pulley with the mark on the bottom plastic guard. get a hacksaw and cut of the plastic off which was a struggle to prise from the rocker cover and fix it back.. stop any foreign objects mixing with the cambely/pulleys.

or you could just pull the rocker cover off....

defo sounds like a dizzy,

any error codes or engine management lights? When i've had a dizzy go, its always lit up the engine management light.

there is a way to check the dizzy is firing, remove the ht lead and remove the spark plug from the engine, stick the sparker into the ht light, get someone to turn the car over and hold the spark plug near some metal, it if sparks then there is spark coming though! (consult a mechanic who can tell you the exact method but this is what i've seen done)

any unburnt fuel smell? have you had a look down the spark plug bores, any oily residue - the O rings on the rocker cover gasket perish over time and let oil into the bores for the spark plugs.

Would like to know that the Diz is definitely at fault before i go buying one at over 100 quid.. I have checked the timing and its spot on.

I have done the HT lead test as i Am a mechanic and it was one of my first steps! All seems fine...

No smells, bores look good, no residue :(

i had a spark even on my knackered dizzy... my brother had that little in line HT lead tester thing. when i phoned honda distributor uk and told them what id done they said straight away id fried the dizzy.

SHES ALIVE!!!!!

found a guy local to me that had a dizzy lying around spare and picked it up for nothing! Fitted it but didnt start, swapped the ignitor for the new one i still had and she's alive!

So happy :) :) :) :)